On the Scene: What do you think about having your parents as friends on Facebook?

A Nielsen survey found that three-quarters of parents on Facebook are friends with their children. The survey also revealed that nearly 30 percent of teens said they would de-friend their parents if given a choice. What do you think about having your parents as friends on Facebook?

“I think it’s fine.  You just have to be careful what you write.  Both of my parents have Facebook.”  Nikki Dileo, junior art major

“I don’t want them to see what I’m doing.  For example, if I have a picture with beer or whiskey in my hand, I don’t want them to see that.“I don’t think parents should be on Facebook. It’s really for college students.  It’s alright, if they’re not in my business.” D’Arthur Llewenllyn, sophomore biology major

“[It’s] not good.  They can see what you’re doing.  There is no privacy.  There should be no reason to add them because they’re already with you in
the house.”
Amish Vanparia, first-year pharmacy student

“It’s good.  Usually parents do what they have to do.  Sometimes parents see something you’ve done wrong and tell you to take it off.  I think it’s a good thing, but most people don’t.” Jalil Besharati, senior history major

“I believe if you’re honest and don’t have anything to hide and you have an open line of communication, there shouldn’t be an issue.  I’m for it.  Parents need to know their [children’s] friends and be on their friends’ list.”

Daniel Paul, freshman business

administration major

Bankaj Ravani, first-year pharmacy student