Your school records are in good hands: FERPA seals lips

When your professor is unwilling to shout your grade across the classroom or when you have to confirm your N-number, address, telephone number, and email with the Bursar’s office, thank them. They are obeying the law.

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, which was enacted in 1974, mandates that any student over the age of 18 or attending school beyond high school has the rights to his or her educational records. Parents, guardians, and spouses cannot access any student record unless authorized by the student. They are only allowed access if the student signs a consent form.

At NSU, students must sign an “authorization for release of information” form indicating which third party they will allow information to be released to. Andrea O’Connell, associate director of training in enrollment and student services, said that most under-graduate students allow their parents access to their educational records — unlike graduate students, who deny their parents access more often.

Supporting O’Connell’s claim, Juan Miranda, sophomore English and philosophy major, said, “I could care less if my parents have my records because I have nothing to hide. They’re paying for most of my education anyway.”

Sayuri Sosa, sophomore business major agrees.

“It’s not like I’m hiding anything from my parents,” she said. “My mom could view my records. I don’t mind.”

Even if students don’t mind, the protection of educational records is a priority at NSU. An office is dedicated to FERPA to protect students from unauthorized access to their records.

O’Connell said, “We treat your information as very strict, in terms of privacy. We protect your records like we protect your social security number.”

Unless authorized, parents cannot call and ask how their children are doing academically or if they are attending class. But this doesn’t always stop them from trying. Professor Kate Waites, Ph.D., professor of humanities in the Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences, has gotten calls before.

“The parents are perplexed and sometimes don’t accept our explanation that we cannot reveal information about their child, especially when they are paying for their tuition. I have to explain, as respectfully as I can, that I am not allowed to provide any information,” said Waites.

Information about a student like their major field of study, email address, phone number, and address are called directory information, which is allowed to be made public, unless withheld by the student. A “request to prevent disclosure of directory information” form must be completed, but the University Registrar’s Office warns students that if they choose to withhold this information, their names will not be published anywhere on campus, even if they make the Dean’s List.

According to O’Connell, the 2007 Virginia Tech school shooting prompted FERPA to change its privacy laws making them more understandable for professors and faculty. A federal report said that Virginia Tech staff was hesitant to share information about the student killer in fear of breaking the federal and state privacy laws.

However, when danger is anticipated, FERPA allows professors and faculty to share information for the protection and safety of students, employees, faculty, and staff.

Xabier Frank, freshman marine biology major said that this was a positive change.

“I think it’s great because students will be protected and they are preventing a situation that could, otherwise, turn ugly.”