Even in South Florida: Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

True Story: the other day someone asked me if I wanted to go to a beach cookout during the holidays. I politely declined. What is wrong with people in South Florida? I don’t want to go to the beach. I don’t want to wear flip-flops and sunglasses. I don’t want to put on suntan lotion. For crying out loud people, it’s the holidays.

It can’t just be me. When you think of the holidays, of winter time, don’t you think of sweaters, scarves, hearths, hot chocolate, snow, cold, and  mittens? OK, so we’re pretty far removed from that down here, but we can make some effort. It’s just not the same for me without those things.

I admit that I’m the first one to reach for his scarf when the thermometer drops below 80. But, I’m still waiting for it to get in the low 70s to start wearing my pea coat. I know it sounds a little crazy, but I like the cold. I like seasons and for it to actually feel like Christmas.

Christmas is my favorite time of the year. I love everything about it. I take it in with all of my senses. I enjoy hearing the Christmas music playing everywhere. Its wonderful to see the lights and the decorations in every neighborhood. The food is especially delectable at this time of year. I love how it seems to make everyone a little bit nicer and happier. One of my favorite things to do is to gather with family and friends to appreciate everything we have.

Can we just pretend for one second that we’re not in a tropical paradise? Can we put away the sandals and throw on some shoes that cover the entire foot? Perhaps embrace some activities that take advantage of the perks of the winter cool (I can’t even say cold because it doesn’t really get cold here). A bonfire. A crisp walk. A night-in playing board games with the family instead of clubbing in downtown Ft. Lauderdale. Watching Christmas movies. Hanging decorations.

I know what you’re thinking ― if you don’t like it here, why don’t you just leave? Trust me, I plan on leaving as soon as I can. Until then, I will be making the most of my not-so-winter-wonderland holiday experience in South Florida. I will be hoping for a drastic drop in temperature. I will make sure I know exactly where my pea coat is in my closet. And I will be staying as far away from the beach as possible.