Diary of… A “computer wizard”

Edgar Flores is a junior computer information systems major and a computer support technician for the Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences. His interests include watching television, listening to music and being with his family. Flores believes in the freedom of information, and his favorite quote is, “Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character,” by Albert Einstein. He is the vice president of the ACM Undergraduate Computer Club, the Association of Computer Machinery and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.

Whenever people think of a computer wizard, they have the image of a guy typing furiously while trying to bypass some high-tech security system like in the movies “The Matrix,” “Hackers” or “Swordfish.” While life might not be like that, it doesn’t stop me from trying to make it that way.

I came to this country from Costa Rica when I was three years old. I had never seen a computer nor knew its full functionality. All I knew was that I wanted to master what many couldn’t at that time. The first computer I ever owned, I built myself at age 11. It’s been 14 years and hundreds of computers later. I am a now a full-time computer support specialist.

Computers have been a passion of mine for a long time, and it’s that drive that allows me to focus on what I want. When others didn’t know what they wanted to major in, I knew exactly the route to take. It’s what brought me this far and will continue to motivate me. I am also part of the ACM Undergraduate Computer Club, which enhances my ability to further my knowledge and experience.

I can easily say that being a computer “wizard,” “guru,” “genius” or whatever other moniker people call me can get a bit exhausting. Most of my time outside of work and class I spend studying new technologies and learning about the newest gadgets on the market. I know that because of who I am, I have to stay ahead of the game. I am constantly bombarded with questions like “What is the best cell phone?” or “What is the best computer for me?” Those are not easy questions to answer because they are normally followed by another half dozen questions about why they are the best. If they aren’t satisfied by my answers, they start to question my technological prowess.

Some of the oddest places that people have asked me for computer advice have been in line at the grocery store, ordering lunch at Subway in the University Center, and, the oddest of all, during a final exam in class — by a professor.

The only thing more exhausting than learning about the new devices out there is buying those devices. It can get a little expensive having to keep up with the latest gadgets, especially being a student and having to pay for books, fees,and odds and ends.

As time goes on, so will technology. Information will flow, and as new devices are made, I will continue to study, learn and evolve. I will continue to hope for freedom of information across the world and help spread some of my own. With NSU’s computer programs growing every semester, I can only hope that there will be others like me wanting to learn and produce new innovations to break the stereotype of a “computer wizard.”