Player Profile: Robert Huntington

NSU men’s basketball number 22 is far from his home country of Australia, but he has four Australian teammates who remind him of home as he plays on Florida’s basketball courts.

Robert Huntington, 6’9”, junior center, did not start his basketball career until he was 15. He said it all started with a friend inviting him to play in a competition. He instantly fell in love with the sport.

The 20-year-old was persuaded to come to the U.S. by one of his teammates. However, Huntington spent his freshman year at High Point University in North Carolina before transferring to NSU to join his Australian friends.

Huntington said he knew some of NSU’s Australian players at home.

“I played against Alex Gynes in National Champs in Australia and Jacob Reed is from the same city as I am so it is really good having him here,” he said.

But basketball was not the only thing on Huntington’s college agenda. On Feb. 3, he was named to The Capital One Academic All-District Second-Team. This recognition is based on both academic and athletic achievement.

“I was really surprised when I heard about the recognition. I was not expecting it at all,” he said.

As NSU’s top student-athlete, Huntington maintains grades high while performing well on the court.

He has a 3.66 GPA as a junior biology major. The Australian also averaged 12 points per game and logged the team-high 549 minutes this year.

“I just make sure I study when I need to and also have time to do things with the boys,” he said. “I love basketball but taking time away from it is important too.”

Quick Fire Questions with Robert Huntington

Who would play you in a movie about your life? “Eric Banna.”

Before you compete, what is your perfect pre-match meal? “Something with pasta.”

In the movie who would you want to play your love interest? “Jessica Alba.”

If you were stranded on the moon, what three items would you take with you? “Food (one of my mum’s curries),  iPod and a basketball.”

If you could travel back in time what time period would you go to? “The early 1980s just to see my dad’s mullet.”

If you could sit down for dinner with anybody, famous or not famous, dead or alive, who would you want? “My grandfather, Nathan Buckley, and Lance Armstrong.”

If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be? “Nobody, I am happy with who I am.”

What would I find in your refrigerator right now? “Mum’s lasagna, Coke zero.”

If you had the option of choosing one superpower, what would that be? “Teleportation so I could go home any time I wanted.”

If you won $20 million dollars, what would you do with the money? “I would buy a nice house for mum and dad, buy a motorbike for my dad and a Porsche for myself.”

How would you describe yourself in three words? “A solid bloke.”