Site of the Week: PlayR.org

Video games were different when we were younger. The graphics might have been low quality compared to today’s standards, but the feeling we got every time Yoshi appeared on the screen can’t be equated to any amount of head shots we may get playing “Uncharted” today.

While video game generations have their ups and downs, most of us wish we could play “Mortal Kombat” the way we did when we were ten years old. But unless you have a SEGA Genesis in your closet, that’s hard to do. Or is it?

Thanks to Web sites such as www.playR.org, you can play most games from the 1980s and 1990s in their original quality. Childhood videogames are available instantly on the site, and this time you won’t have to blow on your cartridge because the game froze. But playR.org’s selection goes further than any other site I have seen. There, you can choose from “The Legend of Zelda” to “Pokemon Red” or “Pokemon Blue,” among hundreds.

I used to love playing “Mortal Kombat” when I was younger. I remember beating my best friend on it and last week, when I logged on to playR.org I discovered I could still beat the game, at least the first few levels. Hey, it’s been a long time.

But usually the problem with online versions of games that we played when we were younger is the difference in controls. But the best part about www.playR.org is that the site allows you to configure the controls. And while, it will not be the same as playing Super Mario on your Nintendo 64, you can feel more comfortable playing it on your laptop.

The site also allows you to save your games and compete against other players. You can search by genre (action, platform, sports, role-playing, or shooter games) or you can search by the region where the game was developed.

So, next time you’re feeling nostalgic, log on to www.playR.org and play like it’s 1998.