On the Scene: Even though you are permitted to take the day off, do you feel comfortable missing lectures on a religious holiday?

In exchange for having an extended Winter holiday vacation, NSU holds classes on Good Friday and Rosh Hashanah. However, professors are required to excuse students who celebrate the religious holidays. Professors are also required to permit students to make up tests and quizzes, as well as provide any material that was distributed during that class period.  Even though you are permitted to take the day off, do you feel comfortable missing lectures on a religious holiday?

“No, I wouldn’t miss class because I feel as though the university is trying to weed out the religious holidays. Good Friday and Rosh Hashanah aren’t days off and it puts pressure on the students to go to class regardless of whether they celebrate it or not. I mean, we feel as though class carries on without us.” Heather Reese, freshman marine biology major

“It depends on the lecture. If it was something important, then no. But if it was a presentation, or something, and the professor said that it was OK, then I would.” Adriana Goyette, third-year Audiology doctorate student

“No, because it wouldn’t feel the same for me. I like class.” Dayna Triana, freshman education major

“No, because I wouldn’t want to miss lecture. There could be things in the lecture that aren’t in the handouts or the book.” Abbey Schiavo, freshman history major

“Yeah, I would. All religions should be respected and everyone should be able to take the day off if they celebrate it.” Chelsea Nichols, third-year pharmacy student

“I would feel comfortable because it’s a religious holiday.” Neeketa Sheth, third-year pharmacy student