Track athlete gains national ranking after first competition as a Shark

Rashida Allen, senior communication studies major, raced to achieve the number one national ranking for the 400-meter dash on March 19 at the Miami Hurricane Invitational.

That race was Allen’s first of the season as well as her first at NSU, since transferring from from Missouri State University last semester.

Bryan Hagopian, track and field head coach, said, “That win means a lot to the team and her. She is a hard worker and determined to make it to nationals. She leads by example and so I’m super proud of her.”

Allen left Division I at Missouri State University because of NSU’s school spirit, personal classroom settings and the coaches.

“There’s really no big dif-ference. We do the same work and we want the same goals,” she said. “But some people run faster times in Division II.”

Allen has been running since she was four years old and has been competing since she was six. She lost her first childhood race.

“This tall girl beat me. I was really mad. But she became my friend to this day,” said Allen.

Allen said she became interested in track when her maid took her to see Merlene Ottey, a famous Jamaican female track athlete.

“She was the person who brought Jamaica out in my eyes. I just loved it,” she said.

Allen said track is 80 percent mental and 20 percent physical.

“If you’re not sure about whether you want to run track, don’t. Track is the hardest sport. No one can tell me  otherwise,” she said.

Because of track’s mental intensity, Allen said she clears her mind during races.

“If I think, I don’t run as well,” she said. “Before the race, I ask God to be with me. But during the race, I just try not to think about anything except finishing.”

Allen graduates in May.