Diary of… a student who worked with cadavers

George V. Schedrin is a junior biology (premed) major and a chemistry minor, and he is involved with the Pre-Medical Society at NSU. He is of Russian descent and from Tacoma, WA, but he loves the beach and can’t get enough of Florida. He enjoys long boarding, surfing, snowboarding and spending time with his family. His favorite quote is “Don’t aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in it, and it will come naturally” by David Frost.

Indiana University School of Medicine–Northwest held its twelfth annual International Human Cadaver Prosection Program this summer, where 55 individuals from around the world were selected to participate in this phenomenal event. I was one of the 55.

IU Northwest is the only university to hold a cadaver program that is open to the general public around the world. To be a participant of a prestigious and educational program was amazing. The program provides hands–on experience in various medical aspects for non–student and non–medical student participants. By the end of the program, I had received a plethora of knowledge about human anatomy, medical imaging, and wound suturing that will help me in my future career.

This year, the program added many exciting features, including an early session of hands–on interactive CT and MRI imaging of human cadavers, suturing workshop, and an anatomy training and research session. However, these additions would not have occurred if it were not for the six individuals who donated their bodies to better our knowledge in medicine and gross anatomy. Thus, I most humbly appreciate and thank them for their decision. They have given me a better understanding and insight on my future career as a medical doctor.

In addition to working with the six cadavers, we were also able to handle and perform medical imaging on an 18-week-old fetus and a twin pair of 24-week-old fetuses. Handling the fetuses was a touching moment because it will probably be the only chance I get to literally hold something so small in the palm of my hand and know it was almost someone’s son or daughter. There are not enough words to explain how special this moment was, and I strongly believe that pro-abortionists should go through this event to feel potential life in their palm before deciding to end a life.

I was also assigned to analyze and dissect an 85-year-old patient named Natalie, who died from an intracranial hemorrhage (bleeding within the skull). My team and I were able to analyze a horseshoe shape on the left side of her cranium, which indicated previous neurological surgery that resulted in a large plate installed to mimic a part of her skull.

My most memorable experience was an orthopedic workshop put on by Zimmer Inc. I was able to experience a total knee replacement, from beginning to end, for the first time — which was awesome.

I would recommend this program for all students, including non–biology majors. The experience and memories that I brought back with me are honestly some of the best in my life. The trip really solidified what I want to do for the rest of my life. I was ecstatic every minute of it, and I can’t wait until next summer to possibly go back for round two.

I would like to thank Dr. Ernest Talarico for his hard work in preparing this Cadaver Prosection Program and Dr. Mark Jaffe, a NSU professor, for doing an excellent job in promoting and preparing my team before we set out on our trip.