NSU’s men’s and women’s golf head coach resigns

On Aug. 22, NSU athletics announced that Kevin Marsh resigned as head coach of the men’s and women’s golf teams in order to spend more time with his family. Marsh won a total of seven conference championships, as well as three national championships during his career at NSU.

Garrett Runion, assistant coach for the men’s golf team believes it was Marsh’s attention to detail that made him such a great coach. Runion also felt Marsh knew how to get the best out of his players.

“Kevin Marsh is one of the most well–respected, hard working, and fair coaches I’ve been around. I think everything Kevin did was planned out very methodically; everything he did was for a purpose,” said Runion.

Runion said his greatest memory with Marsh was when the men’s team won the SSC Championship last season on the final hole.

“It was pretty memorable, because we worked really hard and hadn’t won any tournaments up until that point. [It] was a very satisfying win,” said Runion.

Assistant Women’s Golf Coach, Amanda Brown, described Marsh as a great teacher.

“I appreciate the five years that I worked with Kevin, and all the things that he taught me. I learned a lot from Kevin with recruiting, player development, and the teaching side [of golf],” said Brown.

Senior Golfer Ben Vertz said he was shocked when he heard of Marsh’s resignation, but understood the reason. Vertz said he was thankful for the opportunity Marsh granted him.

“I’d just [like to] thank him for the opportunity to play for him, and whatever he does in the future, I wish him well. It stinks he had to leave, but he had to do what’s best for him and his family,” said Vertz.

Athletic Director Michael Mominey has not yet made a decision on who will replace Marsh.