Better AT&T coverage at NSU

Written by: Victoria Rajkumar & Laura Husinger

This month, AT&T added additional capacity to cell sites around NSU to support broadband growth that will provide better coverage to the NSU community.

The changes will allow the sites to handle more traffic and improve voice and data connectivity on all devices with coverage from AT&T, including cell phones and tablets.

Veronica Liaz, sophomore biology major, said, “I knew something was different, I have less problems with calls dropping and it seems like I always have signal these days.”

Carlos Blanco, vice president and general manager of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets for South Florida, said AT&T realized the important role broadband plays in the lives of students.

Armando Olivero, freshman psychology major, said he appreciated the enhanced coverage.

“It’s great to know that I don’t have to worry so much about losing my connection. Even in places that are usually dead–zones I can still place phone calls,” he said.

Blanco said South Florida was chosen for the improvements because it has one of the most competitive economies for technological investment. AT&T has invested more than $425 million in its Florida wireless and wireline networks since the start of 2011.

If AT&T’s agreement to acquire T–Mobile USA is approved Blanco said AT&T will be able to expand 4G technology to more users. He said this will also mean improved coverage for current T–Mobile customers.