Laugh your fins off: comedian Kevin Hart performs at NSU

On Nov. 5, in the Don Taft University Center Arena, comedian and actor Kevin Hart performed for the NSU community at the Laugh Your Fins Off homecoming finale event.

Hart performed new material for the NSU community and the taping of the show will air on Showtime next year.

Nearly 4,000 people attended the sold out event and security was tight. No cameras were allowed and the audience was warned not to use their cell phones for recording or pictures because of the new material.

Shondra Wallace, senior nursing major said she was grateful to NSU for bringing Hart to campus.

“I don’t think I would’ve ever gotten to see him perform live if it wasn’t for NSU. I had so much fun,” she said.  “I can’t believe we got to see him do new material. That was crazy. It was so worth the money and everyone had a good time.”

During the show, footage from the homecoming tailgate, raft races and the homecoming dance were shown to the audience.

Joseph Moore, senior business major, said, “I don’t think there was one part of the event I didn’t like, well maybe the cost of drinks, but I enjoyed it. The footage from homecoming week was also a nice touch,” he said. “When that guy [in the raft race montage] said, ‘We need an engineering school,’ I nearly died laughing.”

After Hart’s performance, the winner of NSU’s comedy competition, Last Shark Standing, which started in October, was announced. James “Jim” Sinkevich, senior nursing major, placed first; Alex Weiss, junior music major, placed second; and Jonathan Killias, freshman sports management major, placed third.

Raphael Williams, freshman business major, said, “I loved the show.  It was great. I really liked that they had a whole lineup of people performing. I didn’t expect that.”

Hart has appeared in numerous movies including “Scary Movie 3,” “Death at a Funeral,” “Little Fockers” and has done several standup specials featured on Comedy Central. He currently has a movie out in theatres called, “Kevin Hart: Laugh at my Tears.”

Tamika Lawrence, freshman sociology major, said, “Please tell Kevin Hart to come back and see us. It was the best show I’ve ever seen.”