My words to NSU women’s basketball New women’s basketball column

This is the first of the “My words to NSU Women’s Basketball” column. I’ll be attending every home game and keeping everyone up to date. My goal is to inspire fans to come out and support the ladies, while sharing words of encouragement and praise to the team. Have fun reading.

It was Nov. 11, and it was tipoff time. With a new coaching staff, new players, and a new feeling, I was quite the curious cat to see how this team would perform. Since Abbie Tepe, my favorite player from last year’s squad graduated, I was anxious to see who would impress me the most.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have found my new favorite player, and she is Jessica Russi, sophomore guard. Just how did she steal my basketball loving heart? Well, it was her anticipation and vision that jumped out at me. Every time I looked up, she was deflecting the ball and dishing dimes. Her wingspan and awareness make her a menace on the defensive end, and she was wreaking havoc. Another thing I like about Russi is her “game-face.” She has this look of determination that she keeps throughout the match.

Despite losing the first game, the team played solid defense. The two areas they needed to fix were rebounding and turnovers and they did just that.

The very next night, the team improved their rebounding and turnovers, and they won the game. Credit must be given to Head Coach LeAnn Freeland for addressing these two areas, and congratulations on her first victory at NSU.

Danielle Robinson, freshman guard and Meixandra Porter, junior guard, were the two stars of the match. Both players attacked the rim consistently and proved to be a dynamic duo. Porter’s on-ball defense has been nothing short of amazing.

I can’t forget my new favorite player either, as she had three assists in the final eight minutes of the game. Her last assist was arguably the biggest play of the game, because prior to her assist, Columbus State cut the lead to one. Russi and her “game-face” would have none of this, as she delivered the crucial pass to Jessica Walter, senior guard, for the three-pointer. Cold-blooded.

Ladies, you made the NSU community very proud with your performances. Keep up the great work, stay hungry, and keep rebounding. Like the legendary Pat Riley once said, “No rebounds, no rings.”