Senior art majors display talent at exhibition

On Nov. 21, the members of NSU’s 2011 graduating class of art majors displayed their portfolios at an open reception for the NSU community in the Performing and Visual Arts Wing of the Don Taft University Center. The exhibit will be on display until Dec. 6.

Mahmoud Abu-toubeh, Grace Cox, Nicole Di Leo and Reshma Ramrattan showcased various pieces from their graphic design studies.

Tennille Shuster, art professor, said, “The exhibit is a capstone project for these sen-iors as a part of a one-credit course.”

Inside the exhib-ition, the first mural of art was by Di Leo.

“You have to look twice. I did this [effect] on purpose just because I like you to be engaged [in my work] and interactive,” said Di Leo.

Abutoubeh said, “I made my piece hard to read so that you spend more time trying to decipher my message.”  Cox’s pieces can also be found at the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale.

“I am so happy to be a part of such a great group and the closeness they all shared after four years of having practically every class together,” Cox said.

Paula Antonovna Savchenko, sophomore psychology major, said, “[Reshma Ramrattan’s piece] is my favorite piece. It is inventive, and the order of pieces [shows] simple brilliance of thought.”

Don Rosenblum, dean of the Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences, said it was an extraordinary event.

The art program is in its fourth year and has two different tracks — graphic design or studio art.