On The Bench – NSU is home to some elite athletes

It was just the other day when I asked my friend if he would be attending the NSU basketball game. Sadly, his response was one that caught me a bit off guard. Essentially, his answer was that he’d rather stay home and watch Division I basketball, because watching Division II basketball was the equivalent of watching “JV” basketball.

Oh, how far from the truth this statement is. Look, I’m not going to sit here and say that Division II athletes are at the same level as Division I athletes. However, I will say, with full confidence, that many Division II athletes are elite athletes. Speaking of elite athletes, NSU has quite a few of their own.

I don’t believe people realize just how good NSU athletes are. Let me introduce you to junior swimmer, Erin Black. She has posted the fastest time in the 1,000 Free event in all of Division II this season and the second fastest time in the 500 Free event.
Say hello to sophomore golfer, Ben Taylor. He just happens to be ranked the number one male golfer in all of Division II. Freshman golfer, Daniela Ortiz, and Junior golfer, Abbey Gittings, are the number one and number two female golfers in Division II.
Did you know that NSU had 21 All-Americans last year? Now I know we’re not playing blackjack, but 21 sure is one pretty number.
Think Division II athletes can’t make it to the next level? Think again. NSU alumni, J.D. Martinez and Mike Fiers are both playing Major League Baseball. NSU alumna, Sandra Changkija, recently made her LPGA Tour debut.
Still feel Division II athletics is the “JV” of the NCAA? Didn’t think so.