Player profile: Lauren Boudreau

Lauren Boudreau, junior biology major, is one of three co-captains on the rowing team, and the president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. She started rowing in middle school, and, at the time, she would not have predicted that she would still be rowing today.
“I had no idea [I’d still be rowing]. I couldn’t understand why my parents were having me do it, because it wasn’t a sport that my friends did. It was very different than anything I was used to,” said Boudreau.
She soon came to love rowing, and it is something she said she is passionate about today. She said that the feeling during a race is like no other.
“I love being in the middle of a race. That’s the reason that I do it,” said Boudreau. “I love the second before you’re about to start and everything is quiet, and you’re just waiting for the announcer to say, ‘go.’ Then, all of a sudden there’s just a ton of noise and adrenaline and everything kicks in. I love every part of it.”
Not even the daily regimen of waking up at 5 a.m. for practice deters Boudreau’s love for rowing.             She said the early morning practices have taught her how to time manage, and the key to staying energized throughout the day is to take a nap and eat well.
Boudreau said her family members have been the most influential people in her life, but many of the rowers she’s met throughout the years have also played a big part in her growth.
“I’ve been in this sport for almost ten years, and you meet all different kinds of people. There are different types of work ethics. That’s also inspiring to continue on with the sport and be like some of those people or learn from those people,” said Boudreau.
The New York native plans to go to medical school to become a doctor. Boudreau said she wants the NSU community to be more aware of the rowing team.
“I just want people to know we exist,” she said.