Are you still jamming to these? The top five songs from the 90s

As a 90s  kid, I can tell you that the 90s was the best decade ever. It was full of imagination, creativity, and originality — everything seemed new and fresh. Creativity was flowing everywhere, especially when it came to music. Music showed originality from the artists who brought it to the public and made the 90s one with unforgettable musical hits. It is hard to pin point the best part of the 90s, so I took the liberty to name 5 of the greatest hits from that decade.

#5: Barenaked Ladies – “One Week” 

“Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon cause that cartoon has got the boom anime babes that make me think the wrong thing.” 

The song was so catchy that I actually knew the words before the meaning of the lyrics. For instance, “Chickity China the Chinese chicken, you have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin.” The lyrics still baffle me, but it is still fun to sing along to and definitely puts all who listen to it in a good mood.

#4: Britney Spears – “Baby One More Time”

“When I’m not with you I lose my mind. Give me a sign, hit me baby one more time.”

Say whatever you want about Britney Spears, but in the 90s this song was a huge hit. Everyone knew who Britney Spears was as soon as the beat dropped and she came on the track singing, “Oh baby, baby.” Of course, she’s not the same blonde-hair-in-pigtails, school girl outfit wearing teen we once knew (and loved). But, It’s 2012 and we still love our 90s girl, Britney.

#3: Spice Girls – “Wannabe” 

“So tell me what you want, what you really, really want.” 

What 90s pre-teen girl didn’t want to be a Spice Girl? Whether you’re a boy or a girl, I’m certain your lives were somehow influenced by the Spice Girls. Who knew these ladies were going to take world by storm?

#2: Fugees – “Killing Me Softly With His Song” 

”Strumming my pain with his fingers, singing my life with his words. Killing me softly with his song, killing me softly…” 

It is almost impossible not to sing along. Once this track starts, the emotions of her voice overtake your heart. This song forces the audience to relive the pass heartache, or at least understand her pain. We can still relate nearly two decades later.

#1: Nirvana – “Smells Like Teen Spirit” 

“With the lights out, it’s less dangerous, here we are now, entertain us, I feel stupid and contagious, Here we are now entertain us.” 

This song is the anthem of the 90s, there’s no “denial” about that. Once the guitar starts strumming, lead singer, the late Kurt Cobain, sets the mood and creates a rebel atmosphere, letting everyone know “it’s about to go down.” Nirvana may be timeless, but let’s not forget they belong (and always will) to the best decade in history, the 90s.