Happy Hunger Games

With a coffee in my hand and a Hunger Games pin on my shirt, I sat down for the midnight premiere of “The Hunger Games” on March 23. I had been awake since 7:30 a.m., I rushed to the theater after my class got out at 10 p.m.,  and I had to work the next morning. If this movie wasn’t good, I would’ve been tired, angry and extremely disappointed, but fortunately for the people around me, it was well worth the lack of sleep.

“The Hunger Games” is based on the book of the same name and is set in the future, where North America has collapsed after a revolt and been replaced by Panem. Panem is a country divided into 12 districts and one Capitol. In order to keep all the districts in line and prevent another revolt, the Capitol arranges a yearly Hunger Games, where one boy and one girl from each district are selected to fight to the death, until one victor remains. In the 74th annual Hunger Games, Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence) volunteers for her younger sister, Prim, to fight in the games. She and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), the male participant from District 12, are the stars of the movie as they fight to survive.

There are many films adapted from books that didn’t live up to fan’s expectations (think Twilight and the casting of Kristen Stewart). Fortunately, “The Hunger Games” does not join this list. For those who have not read the book (shame on you), you will not get lost in the storyline. The 142 minute-long film was able to stay true to the book, while adding as much detail as possible. This provided the best of both worlds for both the Hunger Games fanatic and mere audience member.

Having taken two film classes, I was pleased at how well executed the movie was. It’s geared towards teens and young adults, but the movie didn’t feel like a Disney version of action adventure.  The fighting, killing, fires, wild animals, etc. all felt real. In one scene, while the participants are in the arena of the Hunger Games, Katniss cuts down a branch holding a tracker-jacker beehive (think bees on steroids). During this scene, I was literally cringing in my seat. I felt like I was getting stung on my hands and neck.

Because of the cinematography and effects, I also felt disoriented after being “stung.” The audience didn’t just watch Katniss fall over and not know if she was dreaming or in reality — we experienced the disorientation with her. We experienced the forest becoming blurry, we fell on the ground with her and we felt her confusion when she was unsure if what happened was reality or an illusion. Throughout the movie, the audience experienced subjective point-of-view shots, hand-held camera effects, and quick cutting between shots. I felt like I was a part of the Hunger Games (well, that could have been the caffeine).

My one complaint about the movie is it didn’t feel like a love story. Now, before you think I’m just a girl who wanted to see a happily ever after, I want you to know I actually read the book (all three in fact). In the Hunger Games book, Peeta isn’t just a love-struck boy who has a crush on Katniss. He was willing to lay down his life for her. He was willing to die for her. He loved her. And at moments, Katniss realized she loved him too. Katniss was struggling with another battle — a battle of love — but the film ignored that. The film made it seem like Katniss loved Gale (Liam Hemsworth) and that Gale was who she thought about (he is definitely swoon-worthy). Hopefully, in the next two films, Peeta will man up and look like he deserves the girl on fire and the audience will be able to watch the love story unfold.

After watching this movie, I can happily tell you guys, this movie isn’t just for girls. There is a slight love triangle, two hot guys and a heroine (girl power!), but the movie is also about children killing other children. The movie didn’t tone down the violence. We saw children from 11 districts turn into killing machines to become the lone survivor. So, guys and gals this movie is for both of you and may the odds be ever in your favor.