NSU swimmer wins individual title at NCAA championships

On March 16 junior swimmer, Erin Black, captured an individual title in the 500 freestyle event at the NCAA championships in Mansfield, Texas. This was the first national title in the program’s history.

Black said she was disappointed with how she swam in the 1,000 meter event and was determined to do better in the 500. She felt she got off to a slow start in the 500 but was able to pick it up towards the end.

“I talked to my coach, and I was just going to swim as fast as I could and see what the outcome was. I kind of came back in the last 150 yards and won. It was a good win. It was exciting,” said Black.

Head coach, Hollie Bonewit-Cron, said Black’s victory was a result of her hard work and determination. Bonewit-Cron said she was honored to be the one who presented Black with her award, and she is looking forward to continuing to coach her.

“Erin has been great to coach this year as she discovered a desire to be great,” said Bonewit-Cron. “She is extremely coachable and I am looking forward to working with her this spring and summer as well as next year.”

Black was appreciative of the support she received from everyone at nationals. She said her parents were there cheering her on, and Bonewit-Cron was also there to congratulate her after the race.

“She ran over behind the blocks after my race, and I was too tired to get out. She said, ‘Are you going to get out and give me a hug?’ I was like yeah, give me a sec. I was super tired, but she was just really happy for me,” said Black.

Black felt her individual title was great for the swimming program because of the recognition and exposure it brings to NSU. She was proud to represent the program and credited the coaching staff for her growth this year. Black plans to try and make it to Olympic trials this summer.