Restaurant Review: Pine Island Bagels

Pine Island Bagels has been serving the Davie area for 15 years; while other restaurants in its shopping plaza have come and gone, P.I. Bagels has remained unfazed.

As the name implies, the restaurant bakes fresh bagels in flavors ranging from plain to marble to everything, but it also cooks up an extensive list of other breakfast favorites, most of which are available all day.

The dining area, with table and counter service, is small and the décor is quite casual. The aging motif is tinged with nostalgia, which no doubt appeals to the mostly retired customers. Walls and display cases are covered with photographs of patrons’ friends and grandchildren, while vintage airline advertisements reflect against a wall of mirrors and wooden paneling. Though the space is in need of an update, the no-frills attitude is reminiscent of a diner and the tables are kept clean.

P.I. Bagels is comfortable and appears to serve a quiet, loyal crowd; there is little more to ask for first thing in the morning.

The all-day breakfast items are affordable and varied — the menu offers eggs served three dozen different ways, including eggs benedict, steak and eggs, and all the filled omelettes you can imagine. The $3 and $4 breakfast specials, available until 11 a.m., are also a reason to celebrate the early hours. Savory choices like hash, grits, and home fries are available for a low price, along with indulgences like pancakes and French toast. Also on the menu is a selection of hot and cold deli sandwiches, burgers, soups, and salads to satisfy any cravings.

But my venture to P.I. Bagels was for the breakfast and, naturally, for the bagels. With so many options, I placed a hefty order to cover my bases: half a waffle, two eggs, and two sausage links, with a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel and cream cheese on the side, for about $7. The other person in my party ordered what P.I. calls an “eggle,” or a fried egg, cheese, and ham sandwiched between the toasted bagel of your choice, for $3.84. With two glasses of orange juice, the total price came to about $16 for two people.

The waffle was crisp and golden and the eggs, which I am usually wary of ordering out, were perfectly cooked. The eggle was also given a thumbs up, and is something I would try next time I go. The cinnamon raisin bagel by itself, however, could have had more flavor, considering it is the restaurant’s staple. It needed more salt and a little more loft too, but I suspect they go easy on the sodium if they serve so many older customers.

In spite of the morning crowd the restaurant was not too noisy, and the service was quick and attentive, but I must admit that the employees’ personalities may not be for everyone. The waitresses are polite and relaxed with the customers, but there were a few instances when I overheard the staff being short with one another. Anyone seated near the kitchen can clearly hear them squabbling as the orders go in and out, and some people may find that off-putting.

The restaurant is overdue for a redesign and they don’t offer the best bagels I’ve ever had, but P.I. Bagels has a huge menu of filling food at incredibly reasonable prices. For those who delight in the big weekend breakfast, it wouldn’t hurt to stop by.

Pine Island Bagels is located at 8902 W State Rd 84 Davie, FL 33324, in the Publix shopping center.