Restaurant Review: Your Big Picture Café

When I first walked into Your Big Picture Café, I was greeted by a large display of herbs on my right and a comfy-looking seating area on my left. The color pallet of the entire room reminded me of coffee. There were chocolate-colored display cases and cream-colored walls. The walls had copper stencils of swirls in every corner, appearing like tree branches.  The dark red plush, padded chairs further complemented the cafe. The atmosphere is warm, inviting and what you would expect of a coffee shop where people come to enjoy a warm drink with friends.

Approaching the counter, a nice young man — who recognized me from my last visit — took my order with a smile. I ordered the “white raspberry swirl” latte, with almond milk. After I had settled into a chair, the same employee brought me my drink, accompanied by a small piece of chocolate.  As is the norm for in-house customers, my latte came in a ceramic mug, which was a nice surprise.  The drink was prepared to the perfect temperature:  not hot enough to burn my tongue, but hot enough to give me a nice warm feeling when I drank it.

At the first taste, the mild, soothing sweetness of white chocolate glided over my taste buds. Next, the tangy raspberry flavor made its surprising entrance, shortly followed by the ever-familiar sensation of quality coffee.

This light, sweet coffee was different from the coffee I had tasted on my previous visit: a peppermint mocha latte. After taking my first sip of that drink, a hint of peppermint was followed by a rush of dark chocolate and coffee flavor. It was so rich that I wasn’t quite sure if I was eating a truffle or drinking coffee. Every taste was just as enjoyable as the last, and the flavor never diminished.

As you may have guessed, this is not your average cup of Joe.  Your Big Picture Café uses organic and fair-trade certified coffee. This means that the coffee is grown under specific standards and supports farmer co-ops, along with sustainable trade.

Besides coffee, the café also serves tea, multiple types of hot chocolate, and gluten- free baked goods from local bakeries.

My white raspberry swirl latte cost $3.75 for a small, and $4.70 for a large. A small regular coffee is $1.65. Every drink is under $5, and most are under $3.

All in all, Your Big Picture Café offers a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere with friendly service and high-quality drinks Monday through Saturday.

Your Big Picture Café is located just south of Griffin Road, east on University Drive.  You can view the full menu at yourbigpicturecafe.com