Restaurant Review: Taitas Peruvian Restaurant

Taitas Peruvian Restaurant in downtown Miami is one of the better authentic Latin American restaurants in its area. Nestled in the International Mall, off of Flagler Street in Miami, Taitas’ cooked-to- order cuisine will transport you and your taste buds straight to Peru.

Right as I approached the outdoor eatery, I was greeted enthusiastically by a waitress, offered a menu, and directed to a table in the seating area.  I was thoroughly impressed by her welcoming and genuine personality. The kitchen and dining area were reminiscent of a restaurant that you would typically find in the heart of Lima, Peru. That was very appealing to me.

The menu boasts a diverse selection of appetizers to choose from, including tender beef heart brochettes with Peruvian spices, known as anticuchos.  A popular choice, salchipapas, is sliced hot dogs over a bed of french fries.  They tasted exceptional, were perfect to share with a group of people, and only set me back $6.  Other available appetizers to indulge in include Peruvian corn with cheese, yuca, and stuffed potatoes with shrimp.

A house salad and Caesar salad are $6 each.  The seafood soup is the house soup and it comes in at $12.  The fish and seafood chowder is $14.

Canchitas, dried corn, were placed on the table shortly after ordering the meal.  They taste like a mixture of popcorn and french fries, and are supposed to help with digestion.  They were quite addicting, and I easily polished them off before the conclusion of the meal.

The seafood entrees are very reasonably priced for their portion size and quality. They range from $6 to $16 and include Peruvian classics, such as Ceviche marinated in lemon juice and Peruvian style mussels.

The poultry portion of the menu contains just as much appeal, with a variety of beef, chicken, and steak dishes, ranging from $10 to $12.  The grilled chicken fillet with rice and white beans was a very large portion, which I couldn’t finish in a single sitting.  The flavor was rich, tender and cooked to perfection.  The lomo saltado dish consists of sautéed beef mixed with tomatoes, onions, french fries and white rice.  It was very flavorful, like authentic Peruvian food.

Overall, the dining experience at Taitas was remarkable.  The service was expedient and thorough, and the waitress was very engaging and cooperative with all of my questions.  If you are a fan of authentic South American food, then Taitas should be high on your list of places to visit. It offers great insight into what dining in Peru is really like.  The atmosphere is calm and invokes a sort of longing for simpler times. I award the restaurant 4 out of 5 stars and will treasure the experience I had there.