Athlete of the week: Chelsea Emery

Chelsea Emery, senior psychology major, has been a major contributor to the NSU women’s softball team since she joined the Sharks last year. Emery transferred to NSU from Brevard Community College in Cocoa, Fla., where she played on the softball team for two years.

Emery began to play baseball at a young age. Once she turned 13, her mom said that she needed to “stop playing with the boys.” She began to play softball in recreational leagues, but eventually moved to play on a travel team. She played on a travel team, until she went to Mount Dora Christian Home and Bible School in Mount Dora, Fla.

In Emery’s freshman year at Brevard, she played in 38 games, with a batting average (BA) of .200 and driving in 15 runs batted in (RBI). During her sophomore year at Brevard, Emery played in 51 games, finished with a BA of .308 in 156 at bats and an on base percentage of .360, and added 35 RBI’s. Emery was awarded the National Junior College Athletic Association Academic Achievement Award and earned second team all-conference honors.

Last year, when Emery transferred to NSU, she played in 53 games, starting in 50 of them. She had many memorable games last year, including a double header against the University of West Florida, where she had four hits and four RBI’s. She also hit a three-run home run to help the Sharks blow out Lincoln Memorial, 8-0. Emery ended last season with 9 doubles, two home runs, 29 RBIs, and a batting average of .286.

Head Coach Lesa Bonee said that she will miss Emery when she leaves. “Chelsea is a good person. I’m not talking about student-athlete, but Chelsea is a sincere individual.”

I sat down with Emery and asked her some questions:

What is your favorite memory in your career?
It would have to be my first home run in 8th grade.

What would you say is your biggest accomplishment in your career?
It would have to be making it to the state playoffs two years in a row in high school.

When did you decide you wanted to play in college?
I probably decided my freshman year in high school. I really wanted to go to UF.

Why did you transfer to NSU?
I know I wanted to play my last two years. Brevard was only two years for athletics, so I wanted to transfer and finish my two years.

Was it a tough transition?
Academic-wise it was very hard, because it is very challenging here. Softball-wise it wasn’t too hard; I just had to learn a new program.

Do you have any pregame rituals?
I usually pray before the game and I have to listen to a certain song before the game. I have to give my coaches high-fives before I get off the bus. I don’t know why I do that; it’s just something I’ve done since high school.