Athlete of the Week: Kelsea Smith

Kelsea Smith, senior marketing major, did not always dream about being a collegiate student athlete; she didn’t even start swimming competitively until sixth grade.

Unlike other sports, swimming clicked immediately with Smith. She has been swimming ever since and decided to walk on to the swim team at her first university, Minnesota State in Mankato.

The Big Lake, Minn. native transferred to NSU last season, after her sophomore year. In her first season as a Shark, Smith saw great success. In a meet against Saint Leo University, she helped to win the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:48.38. She also placed seventh in the 1000 free with a time of 11:12.37 in a meet against Sunshine State conference rival the University of Tampa.

Smith’s efforts helped the NSU women’s swimming and diving team reach the SSC Championships in Clearwater, Fla. at the end of the 2011-2012 season. Once at the SSC Championships, Smith gave it her all, recording personal bests in the 500, 1000, and 1650 freestyle events with times of 5:07.65, 10:31.51 and 17:40.56 respectively. These times helped the Sharks win the meet and the conference title, beating Tampa by 11 points.

When Smith swam for the Minnesota State Mavericks, she had an impressive freshman year, with a fifth and sixth place finish in meets against St. Cloud State and Northern Iowa. During the Midwest Championship, she competed in the 100, 200, 400, 1000 and 1650 yard freestyles.

Smith also had a great high school career.  She was a three-time state qualifier in the 200 and 500 free, and a four time All-Mississippi 8 selection. She was voted the team’s “Most Dedicated” and “Hardest Worker” and earned the outstanding “Academic Achievement Award” during all four years.

I sat down with Smith and asked her a few questions:

What is your best memory of your swimming career?

Last year at conference was my best memory because our whole team just came together and everyone was just supporting each other like crazy. Our team was so loud. We were the loudest out of all the other team. It was a huge breaking moment for me because I set personal times and surpassed my goals.

What is your biggest accomplishment of your swimming career?

My biggest accomplishment was actually coming here and finishing my first season with the team. When I came here and started swimming, I was so overwhelmed because of the practices being so intense; I was never used to that before.

When did you decide to swim in college?

My senior year of high school I was back and forth of if I wanted to keep doing it or not. I wasn’t the best of swimmers, and I walked on for my first year to see if it was something I could handle and could do. After that freshman year, I loved it. It was unlike anything I had done before in high school.

What is it like being a student athlete?

Being a student athlete is actually helpful in managing your time. The hardest part is being able to do other things besides just school and swimming. It’s hard to have that social life and have the energy to go out and do other things.

What will you miss the most about NSU?

I’m going to miss being able to see everyone and be close to a huge group of people. You’re with each other so much; you see each other more than you see your actual family. I’m going to miss the closeness of teammates.

Who is your favorite athlete?

Jonas Grudstrom. He was a senior last year. He loved the sport and he actually made it fun. Whenever people were negative or did not want to be at a two-to-three hour practice, he would always be the positive one. He was so motivational and inspiring.

Who is your inspiration?

My entire family, especially my parents. They totally support me, and they’re just amazed with everything I’ve been able to do down here. They never thought that I was even going to go to college to swim and stick with it. Anytime I need to vent a little bit or I’m down, I call my dad and he always tells me, “You can do whatever, as long as you are the one who wants to do it.”

If you could have an all-expenses-paid trip, where would you go?

I would pick Greece. I don’t know anything about it, but I’ve seen pictures and it just looks like such a spectacular place. The water is so blue. The mountains, the vineyards; it would just be such a relaxing and new experience.