15th Annual Celebration of Excellence

NSU’s 15th Annual Celebration of Excellence, which recognizes select NSU community members for their outstanding impact in the community — one of the university’s eight core values, took place on Jan. 24 in the Don Taft University Center.

According to Director of Special Events Sharon Sullivan, the event was sold-out, with more than 385 attendees.

President George Hanbury II said that the high attendance made him “proud to be president of the university.”

The President’s Award for Excellence in Community Service has been awarded annually to a community member for the past 14 years. However, this year, Hanbury also presented outstanding student, faculty, staff and alumni of the year awards — which he hopes will become a tradition.  All proceeds from the ceremony will go towards student scholarships.

Sara Gama, an NSU undergraduate and MBA alumna who works for event sponsor Fahlgren Mortine, said, “This is my first time [at the event] and as an alumni, this is beautiful, they have done an amazing job, and I am very proud to say this is my alma mater.  This is a great experience.”

Following a reception, this year’s honorees were awarded during the dinner and awards program.

Marine biologist and artist Guy Harvey, who received the Community Award, said, “It’s a great honor to receive this award.  I enjoy the work I do. I enjoy the collaboration with NSU. It’s a very special relationship, and not just because I did a mural here and we do the research work.  Having been a student myself, I still am [a student] in many respects, you’re always learning. Anything I can do to help students propel their careers, get them motivated, get them concerned with issues — particularly marine related issues — I am going to do.”

Greg Jacoski, the director of operations for the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation and an NSU Oceanographic Center alumnus, said, “[Harvey] is non-stop. He’s a great boss, but just a really nice guy in general.  When we’re out in the field, it’s very intense, but he’s gung-ho all the way.”

Executive Director of the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation Antonio Fins added, “If you’re looking for someone who’s a role model that you really ought to recognize, [Harvey] certainly is it.  He is as genuine, authentic and generous a person as you’re going to find and is committed to the causes that he backs.”

Associate Executive Dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine Elaine Wallace was bestowed the Faculty Award.

Wallace said, “I grew up in a family where the family was community and what we teach here is that the community of Nova goes forward to help the community of the world.”

This year, her college implemented community service as a requirement in its curriculum. All first-year and second-year medical school students must complete 40 hours of community service, each year.

Walter Upshaw, SGA President of NSU’s Tampa Student Educational Center, received the Student Award;  Sue Kabot, director of clinical programs at the Mailman Segal Center, was awarded the Staff Award; and  T. David Long, president of the Miller Electric Company, received the Alumni Award.

Hanbury said, “You see when we talk about our commitment as a university, community, it is not an abstract notion.  It is something we live and we breathe.”

The Celebration of Excellence ceremony also served as a networking opportunity for all students in attendance.  Students, such as those from the Razors Edge Leadership Scholarship Program and the President’s 64 were invited.

Jesse Chait, an undergraduate who is part of both programs said, “It’s pretty great to be at this event.  Bumping shoulders with Mr. Miniaci was interesting, seeing Guy Harvey and the President here was great, and just knowing that all the people here are donors and are facilitating a greater experience for my education.”

Saamia Shaikh, a President’s 64 member, shared what she considered a life changing opportunity at last year’s Celebration of Excellence.

“I had met Dr. Appu Rathinavelu, who is the director of the Cancer Institute here at Nova, and after following up with him, it ended up working out really positively for me,” Shaikh said. “I network at his Cancer Institute, I do research with him and it was all because I approached him here and talked to him.”

Hanbury said, “When I meet with the students, I do tell them, to not only talk the talk, but to speak of our vision, to speak of our mission and to indicate that we believe in something and stand for something. But I want them, and I want us, to walk the walk.”