Diary of… a rock singer

Marrissa Dybas is a freshman biology and communication studies major. She is passionate about science and helping others and aspires to become an osteopathic doctor. Most people would never guess that, by night, she is the lead singer of her own rock band.   

When I meet a new friend and they ask the age-old question, “So, what do you like to do?”, I reply calmly and directly. I tell them, “I’m the lead singer of a rock band”.

Usually, people believe me. But it’s often solely thanks to my wardrobe, consisting of tight jeans and studded leather boots. I’ll admit the combination of a rock singer and a pre-med student is not very common. I will also admit that intensely pursuing both my passions in science and music is a huge challenge. Nevertheless, even with two-and-a-half-hour rehearsals, three to four times a week,  it is so much fun and I can’t imagine my life any way else.

Looking back now, I always knew that, no matter what I would become in life, some part of it would be involved in music. At our house, we would have Led Zeppelin music blaring out of the stereo during the day, and, at night, I would hear my dad playing Pink Floyd and Moody Blues songs on his guitar. When my friends were using their allowance money to buy Britney Spears hit clips, I took comfort in listening to The Cranberries, Joni Mitchell and The Sundays in the CD player of my mom’s car. Their songs filled me to the brim with joy and I couldn’t resist the urge to sing along.

I started taking singing lessons when I was about 10, but it was nothing more than a hobby. I never treated singing as a serious passion until I was 16 and started singing with my band SIREN, a mostly female rock band with Led Zeppelin and Halestorm influences. Once I became part of a serious band, whose members shared the goal of wanting to make it big, it hit me: I knew this was something I absolutely needed to do.

Since I wasn’t a seasoned singer or performer, I had a lot of work cut out for me. The first year or so was, without a doubt, an intense learning experience. I can’t even tell you how many times I was flat or sharp on a note or even fidgeted with my microphone cord, as it often got wound up around the stand.

I needed to learn how to correct those mistakes — and fast. I spent a lot of time learning proper vocal techniques, building up endurance in my voice, in order to sing longer sets without feeling fatigued, and working on my overall stage presence and choreography.

However, my biggest challenge was in learning how to let loose and just have fun while singing. Not only is it what a true performer does, but that’s what doing what you love is all about. At first, I didn’t understand this concept. I was a perfectionist in everything I attempted, so not caring about mistakes was simply not in my vocabulary. But the more I progressed, I realized that letting loose was the key in performing and the actual fuel I needed to keep me going in this direction.

When mastering a craft such as this and trying to get your foot in the door, one of the most important things you need is an unwavering support system. I am so lucky to have my amazing parents, who have supported me throughout my journey in music. They are always by my side, as both my biggest cheerleaders and critics. They’ve even given me a way out saying, “You can leave the band in a heartbeat. It’s OK.” But, I did not give in. I didn’t want to be the person who would throw in the towel just because something was hard. Now, seeing how far we have come as a group, performing on big stages and writing original music, I am so glad I never gave up.

SIREN started out just like every other group. We played the usual venues, like Marriot Beach Place in Fort Lauderdale, small charity gigs, and showcases where other teenage bands were performing. But on March 19, 2011, all of that was about to change when we landed a gig that a lot of local bands only dream of: Rock and Pop Masters, an annual free concert held at Weston Regional Park that usually brings in a crowd of 9-12 thousand people every year.

It was our first big performance and it was also one of the first times where we opened up for celebrities. The lineup was huge, including band members from Kool and the Gang, The Romantics, The Spin Doctors and Orleans. Plus, the stage was one of the biggest I’ve ever seen, with spotlights and incredibly tall speakers on all sides. Performing on that stage was the most amazing experience ever.

What was even more amazing is that, after our set, all of the musicians were impressed with our performance and wanted to talk to us. Getting the opportunity to be on the same stage as them was amazing enough. But when they acknowledged us, I almost went through the roof. What amazed me even more was how mellow and laid-back they were when they spoke to us. We felt like we could be ourselves and they made us feel like we were just like one of them. I’ll never forget one particular autograph that one of the performers signed on my backstage pass. It reads: “Marrissa, you sing so fine. Smiles, Jimmy Hall”.

Ever since then, SIREN has come a long way and we have gone on to perform at venues, such as Rascal Flattsfest at the Cruzan Amphitheater, Mizner Park Amphitheater, Tobacco Road, Churchill’s, King’s Center for the Performing Arts, The South Florida Fair, and Hard Rock Miami. We also got to record an E.P. produced by rock drummer icon, Jason Bonham, and recorded our first album produced by Grammy-award winning producer and engineer, Gary Vandy. Then on August 2012, SIREN won the Qoolfest award for Best Teen Band.

In addition, because of SIREN, several opportunities have opened up for me personally. I am currently starring as a supporting actress in the independent family film “Ned Venture” where my character is also a rock singer.

About two years have passed since we formed SIREN. Even now, I still can’t believe that we’ve done so much in so little time. I can’t wait to discover what the future has in store. Music is a tough, unpredictable business, but as long as we go in with confidence, I believe there’s nothing we can’t do.

I have always believed that, if you have a dream, follow it and never lose sight of what it is you desire. In my case, I have my eye on several dreams and follow them as far as I possibly can. While I understand that between music, medicine, and writing, I will most likely wind up dedicating most of my life to only one of them. But until I solidify my career, I’m having the time of my life being a biology major, singing in my rock band and writing journalistic pieces — all at the same time.

So, if you ever see me on campus, don’t hesitate to say hi. I’m a lot more than what meets the eye; all you have to do is look past the biology textbook.