Athlete of the week: Austin Foor

A native of Sunbury, Ohio, Austin Foor, freshman business administration major, came to NSU this year with one goal in mind: to continue his successful soccer career. Austin was a star athlete at Big Walnut High School, where he was named Offensive Player of the Year three times. His senior year, he scored 20 goals and assisted on 10, and was named to the All-State team. He also briefly played club soccer for the Columbus Crew Academy.

So far this season, Foor, a forward, has started two games and come on as a substitute in three others. Since his two-goal performance as a sub against Lynn University on Sept. 18 — the first two goals in his college career — his playing time has been on the rise, bringing his season total to 235 minutes.

Foor has been a fan and avid player from a young age.

“I’ve been playing since I was five. My parents got me into it when I was a little kid and then I just liked it, so I just kept going from there,” he said.

Foor has set specific goals for himself and his teammates.

“Personal goals are to keep starting and keep scoring, and just help the team be successful. We want to win the conference, have a strong season and make it into the tournament,” he said.

I sat down with Floor to ask him some questions.

What was your most memorable moment in soccer?

My junior year in high school, we were undefeated and playing a team to win the conference. I got the ball at half field, ran down and scored the game winning goal with two seconds left.

What has been your greatest achievement in the sport?

Probably coming here — making it to the collegiate level.

Have any of your family members played soccer?

My father used to play for fun but he also played in high school.

Do you have any pregame rituals?

Even though we shouldn’t, I have to eat before a game. Mostly granola bars; I can handle them.

What is your favorite soccer team?

Manchester United.

What is your favorite sports movie?

“Goal.”

If you could have dinner with any athlete who would it be? What would you eat?

LeBron James and probably just pasta because that’s what I like.