Athlete of the week: Laurel Weaver

Laurel Weaver, freshman communication studies major, is making her mark at NSU as she settles into her position as an outside hitter and setter on the women’s volleyball team.

Weaver hails from Los Angeles and though she misses her friends, family and the California waves, she is getting to know her team and the NSU community.

“There are really nice people on the team and I’m looking for everyone to kind of gel and keep coming together in everything that we do,” said Weaver.

Although the season is off to a rocky start with two conference match losses, Weaver is keeping a positive outlook.

“As a team, we are still coming together and it’s awesome to see that we still have so much potential ahead of us. We are just going to go up and keep going. There are teams that we can and will beat again,” says Weaver.

She began playing indoor volleyball around age 8 and played during her senior year at El Camino Real High School. She earned many awards in 2011, including the City Section League Most Valuable Player, City Section Player of the Year, El Camino Real Team Most Valuable Player and City Section First-Team All-League.

Weaver was also a member of the Elite Volleyball Club, where she was named, for indoor play, Team’s Most Valuable Player and Best Offensive Player from 2008 to 2013. She also played beach volleyball, achieved three gold medal finishes and qualified for the NVL Motherlode Open at age 16.

Her drive and career ambition keep her motivated. Her goals include starting a business overseas, preferably in Spain or Croatia. She also wants to encourage young children to try sports.

“I will be helping others the way I was coached at a young age and show kids that they can have a career in athletics,” Weaver said.

Weaver said her passion for volleyball and coaching helps to fuel her motivation.

“I am my biggest critic and I always know that I can improve, continue to get better and adapt more to the system here.”

I stood on the sidelines during practice to ask Weaver some questions.

What is your favorite thing about volleyball?

I would say being able to work together with a team and create something that you wouldn’t be able to do alone. Indoor volleyball is very team oriented, unlike beach volleyball where it’s more laid back and you have to take things into your own hands. I like the adrenaline and how fast paced indoor volleyball is too.

When did you grow interest in the sport?

When I was 8 or 9, I knew that I wanted to do something new. Once I dipped my toe in it, I never stopped.

Do you get really nervous or really excited before a match?
I just get excited.

What’s the hardest part about your training?

Probably being able to manage time and know when it’s time to lay off and when it’s time to go really hard. Knowing when to get extra workouts in and when to give your body a break is difficult. You have to get used to managing yourself but continuing to give 100 percent all the time.

How much do you eat to prepare for a match?

A lot. I am a vegetarian, so I eat, like, 10 bananas a morning.

What do you like best about playing for NSU?

Everything is top of the line with a full weight room and the nicest facilities. Also, the people here are just genuine and really nice. They just want what’s best for you.

How do you celebrate a win?

I make a really good dinner or get a smoothie while spending time with my teammates, discussing what went right and wrong.

Do you have a silly talent?

I can cross my eyes and I used to be in competitive hip-hop.

What is the one word that best describes you?

Passionate.

If you could be neighbors with anyone in the world, who would it be?

It would be Rafael Nadal or Victoria Azarenka, both professional tennis players.