Athlete of the week: Kamryn Blackwood

Kamryn Blackwood, senior criminal justice major, is a hard-hitting tennis player. In 2010, Blackwood arrived at NSU from her hometown of Farmington, N.M. Growing up, Blackwood was a multi-sport athlete, competing in gymnastics, soccer and basketball.

“Gymnastics was my first love,” said Blackwood.

She didn’t take up the sport of tennis, which helped her earn a scholarship to NSU, until her freshman year at Farmington High School.

“I started late. I talked to a college coach who told me, ‘If you want a scholarship, you need to focus on one,’ so I figured out which one I liked more and tennis took over,” said Blackwood.

Blackwood has been hard at work trying to develop her game to be multi-dimensional. She considers herself to have both power and finesse and has been on the courts practicing to improve both.

“I love my big serve and volleys, and I work around those two strengths to win the point at the net instead of winning baseline to baseline in rallies. I would rather win at the net,” said Blackwood.

This has been something she has been developing for quite some time now. Training to improve her game is nothing new for Blackwood; her talent and skills didn’t appear over night.

“In high school, I trained on my serve and volley and then I moved into an all-court player,” said Blackwood.

Playing tennis at NSU means the world to Blackwood. She credits NSU for many good things in her life. She has come a long way, both as a student and as an athlete. She stays very humble and is appreciative for what NSU has been able to do for her.

“I come from a small town in the middle of nowhere. It was hard for anyone to see me play. As much as NSU has invested in me, I’ve invested in it. It’s everything. It’s my education. It’s my life. I love it here,” said Blackwood.

I sat down with Blackwood to ask her a few questions.

What has been your most memorable moment playing tennis?

Senior year in high school, I went 67-0 in doubles and won team states the same year. It was a good way to go out.

Do you have any rituals before matches?

I have to do my handshakes with my girls. And I always wear sunglasses. I think that’s unique because no one else does that.

Who is your favorite tennis player?

Samantha Stosur.

What pro would you like to play a match against? And would you give yourself a chance to win?

Serena [Williams] because she’s nuts. I’d be scared of her but I want to hear what she would say. Anyone can be beaten. I’d give myself a chance but it might be quick.

Of the four professional major events: Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, US Open, which would you like to compete in?

Definitely not the French. I played on clay twice and bit it both times. I never played on grass, so I would have to say the U.S. Open. Have the home crowd.

What is something not everyone might know about you?

I have six dogs at home. One is a yellow lab named Stud.

What is your favorite movie?

I like psychological thrillers. Let’s go with “Vantage Point.”

Who is your favorite athlete?

Shawn Johnson. I know she’s retired but I love her as a person.