Athlete of the week: Roberto Baroniel

Roberto Baroniel, junior exercise science major, is a right-hand pitcher for the Shark’s baseball team. Standing at 6 feet 4 inches, Baronial is from Miami and has been playing baseball since he was 5. His dad loved the sport and taught Baroniel how to play.

Baroniel, who’s also known by his nickname “Bubba,” started pitching his junior year of high school and was named Belen Jesuit Preparatory School’s Pitcher of the Year. However, he’s most proud of a different honor: being named Sportsman of the Year. Baroniel said that all his coaches nominated him because he was one of the only players who interacted with and sought out advice from every coach.

In his first collegiate season, Baroniel started four of his seven games, with a 5.16 earned run average. In a start against the University of West Alabama, he gave up only three runs in five innings. He achieved a career high of seven strikeouts against Southern New Hampshire University in five innings.

In Baroniel’s sophomore year, he was third on the squad in appearances and had a 2-1 record, including a win against the Florida Institute of Technology on the season’s final day.

Baroniel is also the president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, also known as SAAC. He said that the position had helped him grow tremendously as a leader and has opened up many new opportunities for him. He aims for the group to give student-athletes a voice.

I met with Baroniel to learn more about his sports career and his experience as a Shark.

What would you like to improve on this year in your sport?

To be more motivated, more to myself, especially on the field because I don’t interact with my teammates as much.

When was your most memorable game?

My last game of my senior year of high school.

What do you find challenging while playing baseball?

The hardest part has to be just staying positive, and I’m a lot better at it now. Even your worst days are your best days in baseball, because it’s so much fun.

Why did you decide to come to NSU?
The school wanted me the most. I had a couple of options. I felt that coming here, I could leave something of my legacy here.

How do you like NSU?

I’m extremely happy with the decision I made coming here. I’ve learned a lot being here.

Is there anything about baseball that you’d change if you could?

I would create a conference tournament.

What else would you like readers to know about you?

I’m an interesting person. I’ve very complex. I complicate things in a fun way. I look at things differently in a funny way. I’m a lot more positive than most people.

Do you hope to play baseball after college?

Absolutely.

What’s your favorite sports team?

The Miami Dolphins and the Heat.