Diary of… a medical student volunteer

Saamia Shaikh is a first-year student in the College of Osteopathic Medicine’s doctoral program. Earlier this year, she and other medical students volunteered at a camp for children diagnosed with spina bifida and other chronic illnesses. She hopes that her story will encourage readers to give back to the community through projects they’re passionate about, instead of considering community service something that needs to be done for school.

In Eustis, Fla., there is a little world with its own rules: Camp Boggy Creek. Here, only joy and happiness exist. Last month, I went to the camp with 13 other medical students from the College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Osteopathic Medicine students are required to complete 80 hours of community service within their first two years and CBC allows students to complete a majority of their hours in an exciting way.

The camp was founded in 1996 for seriously ill children diagnosed with conditions such as cancer, spina bifida, inflammatory bowel disease, epilepsy and hemophilia. Campers are able to meet others living with the same conditions. It allows them to forget about their ailments or disabilities and, more importantly, realize that they are not alone. The camp is funded by donations and is free for the children and their families.

Although it was heartbreaking to see the children suffering from physical and mental impairments, it was also exhilarating to be a leader and a role model. Volunteering at CBC allowed me to embark on a unique learning experience. I had previously volunteered at other children’s events, such as NSU’s annual A Day for Children. I have even gone to local elementary schools to help teach students basic science concepts. At CBC, I rediscovered my passion for working with children and, more importantly, my passion for working with children with special needs and disabilities.

These children are precious; they are engaging and have something unique to offer the world. As a medical student and future physician, it was such a humbling and amazing experience for me to spend time with them.

Volunteering in a non-medical capacity with these children is something that has changed me for the better. I realized that dealing with a special needs child, the life of the parents and siblings would never be the same.

I had read about the physiology and pathology behind spina bifida in class. However, it wasn’t until I met individuals with spina bifida that I got to see what it was. In particular, one of the children I met was a young boy with spina bifida, who was paralyzed from the waist down and used a wheelchair. During the time I spent with him, I did not hear him complain about the fact he could not walk or do a lot of things other children could do.

Despite his impairments, he was so creative and such a quick learner. It was so refreshing to see a child with such a vivid imagination, something I realized many adults lack due to their desires to conform to society.
CBC made me realize we often take the little things in life for granted, like just being able to walk to the next room. I also realized that the little things in life that bother us should not be taken too seriously.

As volunteers at CBC, my classmates and I were either assigned to be activity pals or family pals. The responsibilities of an activity pal varied and included running the woodshop, the arts and crafts station, archery, boating and fishing, cooking and other activities. On the other hand, family pals stayed with the children and led them to the different activities and events scheduled throughout the day.

I was stationed in the woodshop, probably the most popular place at the camp. The children wanted to make gifts for their friends, family members and other loved ones and another volunteer and I helped. Interestingly, I learned a lot at the woodshop, too. I learned how to use a power drill, saw and a wood burner. Working there was one of my favorite parts of camp. I was able to observe how children learn and function. The thrill of seeing a child’s face when they make an innocent discovery was invigorating. Spending time with children is truly a gift.

I encourage everyone to get involved in the community. Many of us are lucky to be where we are; unfortunately, the same cannot be said for everyone. Giving back to the community does not have to be a chore but can be fun task. So go build that house with Habitat for Humanity, feed the homeless or volunteer at an animal shelter. Today can be the day you begin your life-long commitment to giving back.

The gratification felt from helping an individual in need is truly a feeling unmatched by any other act. I cannot adequately express the feeling I get from helping others and expecting nothing in return. Just knowing that you have helped someone else in even the smallest way and brightened their day, or even just made them smile, is such a wonderful and fulfilling feeling.