Athlete of the Week: Amanda Kopale

After an injury forced her to spend a season on the sidelines, Amanda Kopale, junior theatre and exercise and sport science major, is recovered and ready to make her comeback as a goalkeeper this soccer season.

Kopale was born in Cape Coral, Florida and started playing soccer when she was 5. Throughout her youth, she continued her athletic career by playing for the Olympic Development Program and her high school team.

In her junior year of high school, Kopale transferred to Ida S. Baker High School to join her teammates in her Olympic development team. Her high school team won the state championship the following year and she was crowned both MVP and Player of the Year. These achievements led to her recruitment at NSU as the team’s goal keeper.

Kopale had a total of 61 saves in the 14 games she played her freshman year at NSU. That year, she notably had 10 saves in the game against Barry University. Her overall highest save percentage was against George College, with five saves and a 100 percent save percentage. However, last year Kopale suffered from an injury and missed the entire season.

“I’m going to be a junior this year academic-wise but a sophomore soccer-wise because I tore my ACL in preseason last year,” Kopale said. “That puts you out for the entire season, so it’s kind of hard, but I got over that. Now I’m 100 percent ready to play again and looking forward to this season.”

Once she was cleared by her doctor, Kopale trained every day for this year’s season. Throughout the summer, she participated in goalkeeper training, weight training and running. She also read “Mind Gym” by Gary Mack to mentally prepare for her return to the field.

Kopale is optimistic about her comeback. She aims to earn her starting position again and hopes to make the All-American and the All-Conference first team. She and her team set their goals high. They want to make it to the NCAA tournament and maybe win a national championship this year.

“I’m thankful that God gave me the opportunity to be where I am now and I think I’m here for a reason,” said Kopale. “Hopefully, this year will be a good season and maybe we’ll earn that title.”

I spoke with the accomplished goal keeper to learn more about her and her passion for soccer.

What is your favorite part of any soccer game?

“I love when it’s a close game. I mean, obviously everybody likes to win, but … I like when it was a tight match the whole game and we get to pat our backs for a great win. I love that. It’s a good feeling.”

After you graduate, do you want to continue playing soccer?

“After I graduate, I do want to continue with soccer. I set my goals high and one of my goals as a young girl was always to be in the Olympics. I know people think that’s a huge thing to accomplish, but, to me, that’s just another goal that I want to accomplish. … I definitely want to pursue something in soccer as well as something in acting if I get the chance to, but obviously I am going to go with soccer first and see where that takes me. I also have my exercise science major to fall back on too.”

How would you describe yourself as a player?

“Passionate, for sure. Confident. I would say I’m a team player because I never put the blame on anyone and, if I have to, I will take the blame for them so that they can be ready to play and get their head right and be able to continue in the game.”

What has been your most memorable moment playing soccer?

“When we won the state championship in my senior year of high school because everyone gave me a hard time for switching schools. Some of them didn’t think that it was worth it, but I ended up switching and earned ourselves a state championship title.”

Do you have any rituals before you play a game?

“Before every game, I say a prayer. It’s not always the same; it’s just something that comes naturally, but I always do it before a game. I’m thankful to be given an opportunity to play.”

What do you like most about soccer?

“I love playing. I am just very passionate about it. I’m religious. I believe God gave me talent for a reason and I think soccer is somewhat of my calling. It’s something that I want to continue beyond college, so I guess just to grow in the sport and impact as many people as I can along the way and just try to get better each and every day. I like seeing progress.”

Who is your favorite soccer player?

“My favorite goal keeper that I relate myself to a little bit is Manuel Neuer. He played for Germany in the World Cup. I like how he plays and I relate to his playing style.”

If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would it be?

“I would say New York just because I went for the first time this summer and I loved it and I know that’s kind of boring, considering I can go anywhere in the world, but I love the environment and I love being there.”

If you could play another sport at NSU, what would it be?

“Softball. I grew up playing softball. I actually had to choose between soccer and softball and I could have gone to a pretty good college for softball as well, but I chose soccer. I kind of miss softball.”

If a movie were made about your life, who would play you and why?

“I would say Emma Stone just because she’s hilarious and I love her. I don’t know if she’s too athletic, but she can probably make it work.”