Athlete of the Week: Alexander Fernandez

Running around with a ball and glove in hand since the age of 2 is where Alexander Fernandez’s passion for baseball began.

“I’ve always had a ball in my hand. When I was three years old, I was part of the T-league,” said Fernandez.

It is no surprise that Fernandez, a Cuban-American who grew up in Miami, decided to take the same route his father and uncle took in the past; baseball. It’s as if baseball is in his genes and the number one sport in his culture.

Fernandez is a senior majoring in sports management, and he has been a part of the NSU baseball team for two years. He transferred from the University of Miami, where he played his first two years of college baseball.

Describing his experience so far as a student athlete at NSU as awesome, Fernandez believes that he made the best decision when he transferred to NSU because he feels more of a connection with the coaches and athletes.

“The best thing about being a part of the NSU baseball team is the family unit here; there is really no individual,” said Fernandez.

While many students only have to worry about school related activities and schoolwork, but being a student-athlete requires a lot more work and dedication.

“The hardest part about being a student athlete is time-management; you have to fit doing homework, going to class and doing baseball-related work all in one day,” said Fernandez.

Fernandez plans on taking his talents to the major league after college and to somehow utilize his sports management degree.

After sitting down with Fernandez, I gained some insight and learned interesting facts about him and the NSU baseball team.

What is the most challenging thing about playing baseball?

“Hitting the ball.”

Who is your favorite baseball player and why?

“Derek Jeter because I think he is a good role model, and he does everything the right way. I also think he is a good leader.”

How did you feel about Derek Jeter’s retirement?

“His career was awesome. I think he went out the right way; even though he wanted to win, he went out there and did everything he could.”

If you didn’t play baseball, which other sport would you play?

“I like football and basketball, but I would need to be a lot bigger. I would probably try to play basketball.”

What is your most memorable game, and why was that game so special?

“In high school, my senior year state championship game because it was my last game in high school, and I was one of the captains on the team, so going out and winning felt really good.”

Do you have any rituals that you do before or after you play?

“Not really. I just talk to my mom and dad before and after the games.”

What is a stereotype about baseball players that you hate?

“I don’t hate it, but if I had to choose, I would say it’s that all baseball players are cocky.”

How many meals do you typically eat before a game?

“If we play around 7 p.m., I’ll probably eat four to five.”

How long is practice on a typical day?

“We practice four to five hours a day.”

If you could change one rule about baseball, what would it be?

“There is nothing that I would really change. That’s why I play baseball.”

What made you choose to play for NSU’s baseball team?

“I didn’t have many options after playing for the University of Miami my first two years [of college]. I had to play for a Division II school to avoid sitting out for a year. I also spoke with and maintained a good relationship with the NSU coaches before I went to the University of Miami because I almost came here right out of high school. I also really like the baseball program at NSU.”

How do you celebrate winning?

“As a team we try to celebrate by doing team bonding things, like going out to eat. For myself, I don’t really celebrate; I feel like it’s expected.”

How do you deal with losing? Do you feel that it’s harder to practice after losing?

“I hate losing, so I just work harder, and as a team, we try to figure out why we lost. I think it’s easier to go to practice after losing because we have to come together to figure out why we lost, whereas if we win, we tend to get more laid back, which is not a good thing.”

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

“Spain and Cuba.”

Do you have any advice for anyone interested in becoming a member of the NSU baseball team?

“It’s hard work. It takes a lot of effort.”

Photo Credit: COURTESY OF M.CALLAHAN