One on one with Peter Bailey

From Rick Ross, to Trick Daddy, Peter Bailey has interviewed them all. Being the voice of the community, Bailey continues to advocate the importance of speaking freely, especially when those speaking are from the inner city.

I had the pleasure of conversing with Bailey to discuss his upcoming NiteCap show featuring “Selma” star Omar Dorsey; on Feb. 26 at the Little Haiti Cultural Center at 7 p.m. Bailey and Dorsey will be discussing controversial topics such as Ferguson and the lived-out dream of Martin Luther King Jr. Here’s what Bailey had to say.

Can you tell me about the event?

“NiteCap Live is basically an offshoot of my NiteCap show, which basically is a very popular conversation series. I have very introspective conversations with stars from entertainment, and I wanted to create a space where the audience can come and experience it live and actually chime in on the conversation. There will be a live performance from the kids from Booker T. Washington High School. The drama students are going to perform, and then we have a visual presentation and a theme. Each show has a theme, and this theme is MLK’s Legacy and what are we doing with it, considering the images we put out in the public whether it will be on TV or through hip-hop and Omar and I are going to discuss that. After the conversation, it’ll be open for the audience to ask questions.”

I read there will also be an art show. Can you explain what this entails?

“Yes, there will be a media reception from 7 to 8 p.m. so that’s where the art exhibit will be. It’ll be like a mixer and media reception and it’ll take place within the art gallery. Afterward, guest will head over to the theater for the show to begin at 8 p.m.”

I know that you’re involved in the community, specifically the black community.

“I’m involved in the community period; it’s just that the black community is the community that needs the most help. The beauty of the NiteCap Live show is that there is a mix of people. We have people from the Jewish League. When you come in the room, you’ll be exposed to wealthy philanthropists, white, black, Cuban, Haitian. I created the space because it’s a space of understanding and truth. So right now, to be honest, black culture is leading pop culture. Black music is the forefront of pop culture. Hip-hop is taking up the space of rock ‘n’ roll, so basically we are at the forefront. I like to say I’m very involved in the inner city. It just so happens the inner city in Miami happens to be predominately black.”

If an incident similar to Ferguson were to happen in Miami, what do you think the outcome would be?

“The thing about South Florida is that it’s such a multi-cultural place and a lot of our officers are black and Hispanic, so the racial dynamic is a little bit different, it’s not like the rest of America. This forum is meant to help stop these issues from occurring, and that’s why we’re creating the space for people to come and discuss in a very candid format. I’m not a politically correct person at all, and in the presentation we’re going to speak on that. My belief is that the black community kind of needs to take accountability for their own actions; we’re hoping that that will not transcend down to South Florida, and the only way we can curve that is by having the community come out and discuss issues before that happens.”

Do you think if more celebrities and public figures got involved in more incidents like this, it would be a larger movement?

“Hell yeah. I challenge every star that I know personally. If these kids are empowering your voice and if there’s an incident you don’t provide your voice. Basically, the forefront of the show is challenging people to speak out on issues. I don’t talk about how cool their life is or how much money they’re making — none of that. I think the viewing public and consumers demand that they say something. On the topic of Ferguson, it’s embarrassing how many stars have not stepped forward.”

What message do you want your audience to walk away with?

“I make sure I tell people at the beginning of the show that they have to walk into NiteCap Live with an open mind. It’s harsh and true. I want them to understand that we are a collection of our experiences and the only way we are going to move forward and start to really understand each other is through acceptance of truth. Everything else is politically correctness. At the end of the show, I want you to look at something like you’ve never looked at it before and understand it.”

Do you have any more events similar to this one in the future?

“NiteCap Live is going to be a monthly show and I brought it to the inner city intentionally because I really feel it can stir cultural and economic issues in that depressed era. I remember when President Bill Clinton moved his office building in Harlem, and the entire community improved overall. I want NiteCap Live to bring a positive economic impact to that area.”

Will it continue to be based in Miami?

“Yeah, I’m based in Miami; I’m blessed to say that. We live in a city known for its inspiration. When I think of inspiration and positivity, I think of Miami. This is the first show of its kind in the country and I’m happy to say that it’s based in Miami. Of course, people have asked me to go on the road, and it’s OK to take the show on the road but Miami is definitely the home base. It’s something I want to give the community.”

What do you want people to know about you?

“I understand how the media climate works and I believe that it’s safe to state my opinion if the current media format is not working. I believe the social media generation has a power we never had. It gives you space and voice and power and a transparency to see things we’ve never seen. I’m not a perfect guy, I’m able to have a conversation with people because I’ve been through things; I understand people. I’m the type of person who uses a platform to spread understanding. About me as a person, I tell people all the time, ‘Try to not live by your eyes but by your heart.’ A lot of us live through our eyes and not our heart, we look at a situation and we assume something and I think that’s the problem with the world. I see the world in shades of gray not black and white.”

Photo credit: fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net