Athlete of the Week: Alexandra Johansson

Alexandra Johansson likes tennis because it requires both physical and mental alertness, as well as tactical thinking.

Born in Sweden, Johansson grew up in Australia and came to the U.S. to play college tennis. The first time she ever picked up a tennis racket was by mere coincidence when her family decided to play recreational tennis one day.

“I was around 9, and I randomly joined my family when they wanted to play tennis,” said Johansson.

Johansson’s athletic career at NSU has blossomed since her freshman year. She was an All-American singles player, earned First-Team All-SSC honors and had many victories. Her most impressive were against Barry in three sets, all in her first collegiate tennis year. Her sophomore year, she won 10 out of 14 matches, held a 13-8 overall doubles record, had four straight wins in singles play during the spring break trip and earned back-to-back singles wins in the top flight against California and Towson. She also began her junior season ranked in the individual national ranking and had her biggest win of that season when she defeated the 40th ranked player in the nation in three sets.

I got the chance to sit down with Johansson to ask a few questions and get to know her better.

Did you play any other sports growing up?

“I actually played basketball, and I got to a point in my life where I had to choose one or the other. I chose tennis, and I’m glad I did. I’m not so great with contact sports; I’m a bit too nice.”

What do you like the most about tennis?

“I think my favorite part about it is the diversity of the game. You can be a good athlete, but that doesn’t make you a good tennis player. You have to be mentally strong and physically capable. Also, I like that you can be down a set and still come back and win unlike other sports like soccer, where if you’re up by three at halftime, the game is pretty much over, and you know who will win.”

What are your future goals?

“Since my major is finance, I’m probably going to get into something finance-related. I also still want to be a part of athletic community and maybe even get a chance to integrate the two.”

Do you plan on continuing with tennis after college?

“Yes, I’ll still play, at least socially, and that’s another good thing about tennis; you can take it with you till you get old. You don’t lose that ability.”

What has been your most memorable moment playing tennis?

“It was when I was a freshman. I had a really good season, and I had a battle against Barry, and I ended up winning. That was a great moment for me.”

Do you plan on going back home after college?

“Yes, I do, but I kind of want to come back if I can, once I get my life in order.”

What do you miss the most about home?

“I miss having a car, so I can actually do things in my life without having to rely on people. I miss the independence.”

Do you follow other sports?

“I used to follow Australian rugby. It’s fun to watch.”

Do you have any special rituals before matches?

“Nothing really special, but I like to listen to music so I can pump up for the game.”

How do you celebrate winning?

“We like to celebrate as a team by getting together and hanging out and going to dinner or something. We like to have a team atmosphere, so we get together and enjoy the win and each other’s company.”

Do you think practice is harder after losing?

“No, not necessarily. It gives us something to strive for and something to focus on more. It’s harder when you win because you have to work on maintaining your skills.”

What do you feel motivates you the most?

“I really play for the team more than anything. I do anything to not lose, help out my team and contribute to a successful season.”

How would you describe yourself as an athlete?

“I’m pretty calm on the court. I don’t show too much emotion.”

Did you have a coach who influenced you?

“Yes. My dad actually coached me for some time in my life, but I had a coach just before I came here. He was the one who made me realize that coming here and playing in college is actually achievable. I thought that you had to be top in the nation to even get a chance. I realized later that it’s really an achievable thing for anyone who works hard.”

Do you have any hobbies?

“I really like music. I spend a lot of time looking up songs, and I also play the guitar. When I have time, I like to go to the beach.”

If a movie were to be made about your life, who would you want to play your role?

“Jennifer Lawrence.”

Photo Credit: COURTESY OF J. FRAYSURE