Athlete of the Week: Quannisha Allen

If you have experience with running through the humid Florida air, you know how suffocating it is. Born and raised in St. Augustine, Quannisha Allen had to deal with that intensity.

Allen ran for the first time during her first year of high school after joining St. Augustine High School’s track team. In addition to running track, she played volleyball all four years and basketball for two years.

“I only ran because my dad ran in high school,” said Allen, legal studies major and Spanish and psychology minor.

To her surprise, the sport was harder than she ever imagined, but after her first race, she fell in love with running.

“That was when I realized that I wanted to continue to run for myself, not for my dad,” said Allen.

Although she enjoyed the sport, Allen wasn’t quite sure she was ready to run in college.

“I thought to myself that I’m not going to be running around in a circle for the rest of my life,” she said.

That was the case until she was recruited by NSU, but even then, she was still skeptical about the decision. The atmosphere of NSU and its track team were what eventually won her over.

“When I came here and toured the campus, I liked everything about the school and the team environment,” she said. “Everyone on the team is close together.”

During her career at NSU, Allen has been recognized many times. She was named to the Peach Belt Conference Track and Field All-Academic team for two years in a row. She earned All-Region honors for her performance at the prestigious Drake relays, where she participated on the 4×400-meter relay and placed eighth. She was also nominated for the Tony Segreto Scholarship award and won the Track and Field Coaches Award.

Allen placed third in the 400-meter dash with a time of 57.63 at the Peach Belt Conference Championships. In addition to setting a career-best time in the 800m run at 2:25.86 at the UCF Invitational and taking 14th place overall during her junior year, Allen placed 9th in the 200-meter dash with a time of 25.93.

I got the chance to sit down with Allen and ask her a few questions to get to know her better.

How did you decide to switch from track to cross country?

“I started out with just doing track and I wanted to get better at the 800s, so I needed more endurance and decided to take it to cross country.”

Do you plan on continuing to run after college?

“If I can, I’ll definitely continue to run. If not, then I’ll just be going to law school.”

Do you have any special rituals before a meet?

“I just pray; we get together as a team and pray.”

Are you involved in any extracurriculars at NSU?

“Yes, I’m in Phi Alpha Delta, a prelaw fraternity, and the Student Athletic Committee.”

What do you like to do in your free time?

“Outside of school, I like to go to church and help package and distribute food to the less fortunate.”

How do you balance between running and school?

“It takes a lot of time management and planning out, and I have to write everything down or else I would forget it. I value my planner so much.”

What’s the most special thing about being part of a team?

“I think it’s being able to spend time with other people, and we’re all doing this one thing that we love―it’s what brings us together.”

Did you have a coach that influenced you the most?

“My senior year of high school, we got a new coach, and his name was Quinterrance Cooper. He was in charge of sprints, so he really worked with me and helped me. When I first started, I didn’t think I’d be good enough to run at a higher level, but he truly believed in me and told me to keep going even when I wanted to give up.”

What motivates you the most?

“Knowing that God is there with me. I appreciate the precious gift He gave me.”

Photo printed with permission from J. PINEDA