Staff Picks: Best Fall Shows

Li Cohen, co-editor-in-chief, said “Grey’s Anatomy”

The doctors at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital have drawn me into their waiting room once again to see what antics happen. “Grey’s Anatomy” is a bit of an unhealthy obsession that combines tears of drama with tears of happiness to create a constant ebb and flow of McDreamy, McSteamy and McToasty love. From plane crashes to car accidents, from hook ups to break ups and from medical anomalies to medical failures, this show is the drama-filled life I would never want but can’t stop watching.

Nicole Cocuy, co-editor-in-chief, said “Jane the Virgin”

Upon first glance at a “Jane the Virgin” trailer, you might write the show off as yet another unwanted pregnancy show, but it’s so much more than that. When Jane, a chaste, extremely organized and career-oriented girl, is accidentally artificially inseminated with a wealthy, young hotel tycoon’s sperm, her five-year plan ― and her relationship with her police officer boyfriend, Michael ― are thrown out the window. The premise of the show is based on Venezuelan telenovela “Juana le Virgen,” so the show has its share of dramatic twists and turns ― including a few murders, exaggerated slaps and evil twins ― to keep you at the edge of your seat. However, “Jane the Virgin” takes a lighthearted, even satirical, approach to its obvious soap opera influences. Its narrator, possibly the best narrator in television history, pokes fun at the dramatic characters and situations to bring the audience back to earth, throwing out puns and cheesy one liners left and right. The best part, however, is Gina Rodriguez’s portrayal of Jane, who is not only a self-respecting, motivated, intelligent young woman, determined to follow her moral compass throughout her confusing and stressful journey, but also a relatable, strong female lead who happens to be Latina and does not have to resort to cheesy racial stereotypes to rise to stardom. Talk about a trailblazer.

Jazmyn Brown, copy editor, said “Reign”

I’m not a history buff, but “Reign” is captivating. “Reign,” on the CW, is the story of Mary Queen of Scotts, played by Adelaide Kane, and the political goings-on at French court. “Reign” encapsulates court intrigue, scandal and a Game of Thrones-esque atmosphere that keeps you absolutely hooked and craving the next episode. With mad kings, conniving queens, paganism, ghosts, forbidden loves and treachery, “Reign” explores the relatable conflicts of love versus duty and loyalty versus self-preservation. The historical context of the show does not limit the show to drama of days past; in fact, it’s more loosely based on history than it is a replication of actual historical events. Mary is a strong female character for her time, and “Reign” does a great job showing its audience the struggles of a headstrong and stubborn, yet poised and compassionate woman who’s constricted by the time period’s social decorum. The sub-plots really complement the main themes of the show, and each seemingly minor character’s actions tie into the larger plot points, driving the action of the story. “Reign,” although a historically-based show, is poignantly relatable to issues we face today.

Amanda Kaplan, multimedia manager, said “How to Get Away with Murder”

My favorite show this fall is “How to Get Away with Murder.” It’s in its second season, and I can’t pull away from the television when it’s on on Thursday nights. Originally watching only part of the first season, I never thought I would love it this much. Lawyer and criminal law professor Annalise Keating, played by Viola Davis, is fearless in all aspects of her life, in and out of the courtroom. Each year, she selects a group of her most promising students to work for her law firm. Through mysterious cases and mind-boggling murders, more and more secrets are being kept between Keating and her students. This opportunity may be great for the students’ resumes, but will they find themselves in jail once they get involved in their own murder plot? You’ll have to watch it to find out who actually gets away with murder and what happens next. Be prepared to binge-watch on Netflix because you won’t be able to wait to watch the next episode. I promise.

Destinee Hughes, arts and entertainment editor, said “Once Upon a Time”

I rarely watch TV. I never have time, and, honestly, nothing really interests me these days. But I must admit ABC’s “Once Upon a Time” has me undeniably hooked. This show takes a modern spin on all of our favorite childhood fairy tales and gives a very detailed description of the history of their past. The story writers of this show are extremely creative and have a wild imagination. Turning good characters into evil ones and evil characters into good ones seems to be the theme of this show. I have no shame in admitting that I spend the majority of my day binge-watching all the previous seasons of this show. Actually, I’m impressed with myself.

Roddia Paul, opinions editor, said “Empire”

I’m an Aries, and I’ll be the first to admit that I am as stubborn as they come, which explains why when new television shows or films come out, I don’t give in to the hype. I think I am the only person young or old who has not seen the movie “Frozen.” So when “Empire” premiered on FOX, I paid it no mind. I barely have time to keep up with TV shows anyway. It was not until I spent the night with my mom, and she insisted that I watch “Empire” with her. I sat there on the couch handle, skeptical and trying not to give in. Before it got to the first commercial break, I was curled up on the couch, eyes glued to the television screen. I love the blunt interaction between characters, the relatable storyline and the diversity among the cast. It’s a show that’s so raw, people from all over can get into it. It has an urban New York setting and tells the tale of a family and their encounters with the risky entertainment and music business. After 17 years in jail, Cookie, the mother, is released and she has a vengeance to reclaim the empire she helped build. It’s only on the second season, and viewers cannot help but take a bite.