It’s show time at NSU’s Got Talent

Students interested in showing off their hidden talents can submit applications until March 25 to the Office of Student Activities for NSU’s Got Talent.

NSU’s Got Talent will be on April 6 at 8 p.m. at the Shark Circle. Judges will evaluate students based on talent, presentation, stage presence and other factors. The first-place winner will win $500, the second-place winner will win $300, and the third-place winner will win $200. Winners can either receive the award money in gift-card form or choose to donate it to a student organization of their choice.

According to Carolena Albert, sophomore music major, NSU’s Got Talent is important because it allows students to showcase their unique abilities.

“You have all these students on campus every day, and you don’t know what they can do, what they’re capable of,” she said.

Daesha Roberts, junior business administration major and vice president of traditions for SEA Board, is planning the competition and said it will give students a chance to see the artistic sides of their friends.

“When I see artists performing, especially if they’re my friends, I see a different side of them,” she said. “You don’t get to see that often.”

Albert sang an acoustic version of Jessie J’s “Bang Bang” at the talent show last year. She placed second and won $300.

“Performing has given me confidence, not just as a performer, but also as a person,” she said. “It’s allowed me to connect with people in ways that I normally wouldn’t be able to connect with them.”

Albert said she wants to perform at NSU’s Got Talent again this year because it’s an opportunity to overcome shyness and hesitation.

“If you love what you do enough, you should want to share it with others,” she said. “You don’t become someone else, but you become a better version of yourself when you’re confident enough to showcase something you’ve worked hard on.”

Arianna Ortiz, senior music and theatre major, performed last year with the Riff Tides, NSU’s acapella group.

“It’ll be interesting to see what acts [people] perform this year,” Ortiz said. “Last year, there was dancing, comedy, improv and music. I’m really looking forward to seeing what everyone brings to the competition.”

NSU’s Got Talent will take place during Fin Fest, a week of food, giveaways and entertainment for students as they finish the year.

“It’s the last month of school,” Roberts said. “You’re going home for the summer, and you don’t want to be thinking, ‘I wish I would’ve done NSU’s Got Talent.’ Even if you don’t win, it’s a great experience. You get to show people your talent.”

Roberts said she hopes the atmosphere is encouraging for the performers and fun for the audience.

“I want the performers to remember that they were on the stage with all the lights, music blaring, that they felt a lot of positive energy from the audience, and they felt good about putting themselves out there in a way they haven’t before,” she said. “As for the crowd, I just want them to have a good time.”

All students can attend and participate in NSU’s Got Talent. Acts must be no more than four and a half minutes long, and group acts can have no more than eight people.

For more information about signing up, visit the Office of Student Activities in the Don Taft University Center, or call 954-262-7288.

Photo Credit: D. Roberts