“Hollow”een is overrated

I remember reading stories in elementary school about the origins of Halloween.  and I can vaguely recall an explanation that said the term “Hallow’s Eve” eventually morphed into one word. I can’t tell you much more than that, however. That’s probably because whatever intentions set the foundation for the “holiday” have faded away, and Halloween has become one of the most overrated and commercialized aspects to of American culture.

Yes, I’m saying it: Halloween is stupid.

I understand why it’s popular among children — the whole ideaday revolves around the promise of free candy. As a child myself, that was my main reason for dressing up and trudging around my neighborhood. But nNow that I’m an adult and I have to buy my own candy from the stores, I just don’t understand the all the hullabaooloo around itHalloween. I think that in American culture, it’s even a stretch to constitute say that Halloween as is a holiday.

Merriam Webster defines a holiday as a “holy day” or a day where people get to take off work, ; neither of which really encapsulate what happens on Halloween.  In our society, work and school is always in session for Halloween, and there’s no discussion about its holy origins. I consider Thanksgiving a holiday because it’s surrounded centered aroundon the idea of gratitude,; I consider Veteran’s Day a holiday because it pays tribute to those who fought for our country. Halloween just reestablishes my need to go to the dentist for a filling.  .

I’ve heard a lot of discussion about how they’re multiple origins to of Halloween that are still relevant in certain cultures, and I think that’s beautiful; I just don’t see it where I live. Nor, do Americans take the time to regularly talk about itthe meaning of Halloween. Instead, during the month of October, which seems like it hashas become Halloween season, all the major TV networks play spooky movie marathons and tons of people spend one hundred dollars for a Halloween Hhorror Nnights ticket. I define the word holiday as a day that commemorates a special None of these activities commemorate a specific event or idea.

The costumes on Halloween serve no real purpose once you’re through trick-or-treating. And even then, there’s a lot of discussion lately about how the children’s costumes seen as commonplace are racist — like Pocahontas, to name one.

I know that a lot of Halloween lovers are going to claim that it’s nice to have something to celebrate and have fun with. TAnd they aren’t wrong, but it’s just difficult to believe that a day who’s in which the main objective major purpose is to scare people is everyone’s idea of fun. It just seems like the notion of Halloween doesn’t have much substance to it, like it should be spelt with a different form of hollow. If you want to frolick frolic and squeal over fake cobwebs and electronic mummies, be my guest. Just please don’t claim you’re doing it in the name of holiday spirit.