Senior Spotlight: Shanae Reece

Shanae Reece, senior theatre major, has been performing in plays since her sophomore year in high school. Originally, she enrolled at NSU for the marine biology program, but switched to theatre after meeting everyone in the Performing and Visual Arts Department. Although she considered leaving NSU, she said that she decided to stay for the people.

She said her biggest accomplishment since switching her major to theatre was breaking out of her shell.

“I was so antisocial at first. I was the quiet person in the classroom who sat on the opposite side of everyone else. Now, everyone in the theatre is considered my friend,” Reece said.

Being a theatre major is not always as easy at seems. To Reece, the rewards that come from majoring in theatre outweigh the hard work. Her passion for theatre and the people she’s met in the theatre department make the task of “making it” as a theatre major worthwhile.

She went on to explain her passion for theatre and her love for the theatre program at NSU.

What sparked your interest in theatre?
“I think it’s being able to express yourself. I’ve found a close family in the theatre community, and it was very welcoming. Just being able to play characters, putting yourself in others’ shoes and being able to entertain the public I think is a beautiful thing.”

Where do you see yourself after graduation? Is performing something you would like to continue?
“Definitely. I think I want to do acting a little bit less. Every now and then I plan on auditioning for shows, but I think the main thing I want to do is stage-managing for local theatres and local plays in the area.”

What is the hardest aspect of being a theatre major?
“It’s learning every single aspect of theatre. People think that we just have acting classes throughout the day, but we also have lighting and sound classes. We have to learn the technical aspects of theatre as well as the history behind it.”

What is the most rewarding part of the major you’ve chosen?
“It’s after the production. Knowing that all the hard work, the nights of rehearsal…has all paid off when you see the smiles on everyone’s faces when they leave, and it’s amazing.”

What are some of your favorite plays?
“For our classes we have to see outside plays, and I think throughout all my years as an NSU student, my two favorites that I had to see [were] ‘Waiting for Godot’ and ‘Mr. Marmalade.’”

How do you feel about the fact that people consider it difficult to “make it” in this profession?
“I feel like you shouldn’t look at it like ‘I have to be this.’ You have to be very open-minded about theatre and realistic. You have to know where you fit in, and don’t be someone you’re not. I think it’s very possible. A lot of people say it’s hard, but it’s achievable if you want it because there are so many opportunities. If you’re in Florida, you’re going to find opportunity here. If you’re in New York, you’re definitely going to find something. You just have to be in the right place and talk to the right people.”

Do you think the program helped improve your craft?
“Definitely. The professors are acting here as well as outside of the school and are bringing the knowledge that they have learned outside. They are making you meet people and come watch their performances, so definitely, I think so.”