Staff picks: Favorite part of fall

Fall is officially here… Well, sort of. While South Florida is not known for having beautiful fall weather, our staff still finds ways to celebrate fall and all of its glory.

Sydney Stoneback, visual design and multimedia assistant, said:

“My favorite thing about fall is all the seasonal traditions. I love getting together with friends to celebrate the season, whether it be carving pumpkins or watching scary movies —  I love it all. Also, since I’m from Orlando, I love going to Halloween Horror Nights every year at Universal. It’s terrifying but in a good way.”

Jeweliana Register, arts and entertainment editor, said:

“Fall and winter are my favorite seasons, not that we have much of either here in Florida. I love the flavors of pumpkin and maple that come around during the fall time, plus I just love the warm color palette of fall and the fall fashion that comes with it. Pumpkin patches and bonfires are my favorites during fall time, so you can probably find me there drinking pumpkin spice lattes or warm apple cider.”

Nicole Chavannes, copy editor, said:

“My favorite part of fall is all the parts of fall. I love the fashion, the colors and the holidays. I love decorating and dressing up for Halloween; I love spending time with my friends and family for Thanksgiving; and I love playing Christmas music and buying my Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving, even though the Scrooges of the world try to harsh my Christmas mellow.”

Gabby Thompson, features editor, said:

“I’m from the North, so I actually get to experience fall. I love pretty much everything about it: the leaves changing colors, the abundance of pumpkin and apple picking and the weather cooling down enough to wear sweaters. It’s just the perfect season.”

Martin Galvez, sports editor, said:

“My favorite thing about fall is the food and the beginning of holiday season. With fall comes Thanksgiving and that means food. I get to eat one of my favorite dishes, turkey. In addition, with fall, the holiday season starts and it’s interesting how malls, stores and houses begin decorating in preparation for Christmas and the New Year.”

Carli Lutz, chief of visual design, said:

“My favorite thing about fall is Thanksgiving. Well, mostly the Thanksgiving food. Yeah, the food. I’m so excited for the turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy. I’m also excited for the amount of Thanksgiving feast leftovers I’m gonna be eating for the three weeks following the holiday itself. Wow, I love fall food. Bring on the pumpkin pie.”

Jenna Kopec, co-editor-in-chief, said:

“The fact that winter is coming. That’s not a ‘Game of Thrones’ reference. I just really like winter.”

Michaela Greer, co-editor-in-chief, said:

“Since I don’t celebrate Halloween and I moved from the Caribbean where Thanksgiving and pumpkin-spiced everything just isn’t a thing, the aspects of fall that I enjoy tend to be the simpler things. For example, foods like apples and brussel sprouts begin to have that something extra since they’re in season and the temperature falls to a comfortable chill. Plus, people are generally nicer as the holidays approach, at least until the sales begin.”

Skylyr Vanderveer, multimedia manager, said:

“I love fall fashion trends. Oversized sweaters are my shopping weakness!”