Staff Picks: What’s your all-time favorite book?

February is national library lovers’ month. What’s your all-time favorite book?

Simone Veira, business manager, said:

“My favorite book is ‘Even in Paradise’ by Elizabeth Nunez. I admire the way the author relates Shakespeare’s play, ‘King Lear,’ to a modern day Caribbean family as I am also from the Caribbean.”

Christina McLaughlin, opinions editor, said:

“For me, it’s a toss-up between ‘The Call of the Wild’ by Jack London or Dan Brown’s Robert Langdon series, ‘Angel & Demons’ and its sequels. ‘The Call of the Wild’ was my favorite book as a kid and it was the first book I really connected with. It’s about a dog with an incredible storyline about suffering and triumph and it gave me a first look into my passion for the natural world. The Robert Langdon storyline will always hold a special place in my heart since it taught me to be curious about the world around me. It also gives me a little bit of a history lesson in every book, which, for a secret history buff like me, is a guilty pleasure. Even though most of the books have turned into movies, nothing beats the original material.”

Michaela Greer, co-editor-in-chief, said:

“I don’t tend to have favorites of any kind, but I think that in this case, it would have to be the Bible because it’s just the one that I turn to most often. It has everything from amazing stories to words of inspiration, encouragement and advice. There’s no other book that I can say that about so it has to be that.”

Sydney Stoneback, visual design and multimedia assistant, said:

“I don’t really have an ‘all-time’ favorite book that is obvious to me, but a favorite book that I have read recently is ‘Beloved’ by Toni Morrison. I loved the book because the plot kept me on my toes the entire time, which made me emotionally invested. Basically, everything that happened in the book had me shook.”

Diego “Martin” Galvez, sports editor, said:

“My all-time favorite book is ‘Ready Player One’ by Ernest Cline because it talks about a dystopian future that may be closer than we think. Plus, it’s an ‘80s-packed book with easter eggs everywhere…like in video games.”

Madelyn Rinka, news editor, said:

“I have a lot of books I love, but my favorite is probably ‘Kale and Coffee’ by Kevin Gianni. I usually prefer nonfiction books, and this one was both funny and entertaining.”

Jenna Kopec, co-editor-in-chief, said:

“My favorite book is ‘The Unbearable Lightness of Being’ by Milan Kundera. Not to be cliche, but it’s really one of those life-changers that you hear about all the time. There’s such a balance of apathy and understanding in the novel that really makes you think about the complexities of life and love and all that jazz.”

Nicole Chavannes, copy editor, said:

“I’m a generally indecisive person, so asking my favorite book is almost akin to torture. The Harry Potter series will always hold a special place in my heart, as I can read the series over and over again and consistently find new meaning and insight in it. Recently, however, I read the graphic novel ‘Watchmen’ and fell in love with the philosophical questions woven into the alternative reality storyline.”