Seriously Kidding: Students deny gender inequity because it ‘doesn’t impact’ them

In an effort to learn what NSU can do to better serve its community and join the fight against gender inequity both locally and nationally, President George Hanbury sent a survey to the student body on Jan. 1. To his surprise, the responses he received showed little interest in a need for social change.

According to the results, which Hanbury released in order to paint a picture of students’  attitudes, 80 percent of students on campus said that gender inequity “didn’t have a significant impact on [them]” and 75 percent said that there was “no national campaign or action that [they want to participate in as a university] they think they’d want to join.”

“I think we live in a society where like, both men and women are totally being heard,” said Amber Mispoint, a junior biology major. “I mean look how much traction things like the #MeToo campaign is receiving? We did it ya’ll.”

Mispoint wasn’t exactly sure what “it” was, but did repeatedly say that women had accomplished “it.”

While Mispoint doesn’t see the need for action because she feels like we’ve done “it,” others feel like there was nothing to accomplish in the first place.

“I mean personally, we can vote now so I don’t see what the big deal is. No one is threatening your rights, you know?” said Wanda B. Mann, senior business administration major. “If you want to make it in the world sometimes you’re gonna have to flirt a little. I don’t see what the big deal is.”

Mann said that she is often interrupted by her male classmates, though she did not think that was indicative a problem.

“One time my professor even defended me, and I was like ‘bro chill, it’s no big deal,’” Mann explained.

Even male students, like sophomore sports management major Paul Oleman, don’t feel like there’s a disconnect.

“This whole ‘men can be emotional’ thing is crazy. I’m a man, I hate to cry. No, thanks,” said Oleman.

Despite the lack of response from students, Hanbury plans to launch a campaign to help students learn about gender inequity and how it may impact their daily lives without them realizing it.