Club Spotlight: Hillel of Broward County and Palm Beach

Keeping in theme with the international organization’s mission to provide a community for Jewish students, NSU’s chapter of Hillel of Broward and Palm Beach had been named Registered Student Organization (RSO) of the Month for February.

“Hillel definitely made my experience at NSU far greater than I expected. It’s provided me with multiple leadership opportunities and different networking opportunities. As well as helped me find students that I can talk to on a daily basis. Some of my best friends are also from Hillel,” said Tal Lubarsky, senior political science major, who joined Hillel of Broward and Palm Beach because she wanted to connect to students who were a part of her culture.

Lubarsky, like many of the growing club’s population, found that connection through NSU’s chapter of Hillel.

Carly Purcell, president of Hillel and senior business administration major, said that since she joined the club her sophomore year the club she loves has nearly doubled in size.

“It was such a small program when I first came in. There were like 10 members. It’s expanded so much in the three years that I’ve been involved,” she said. “It’s been so cool to watch it grow and I enjoy it more and more with each event that we put on. I can’t wait to see how it continues when I leave.”

Through their staple events — usually Shabbats — and special programming for holidays, Purcell and Lubarsky said that Hillel fosters close connection between its members.

“Hillel’s introduced me to a lot of people who have similar values to me. I think that because I’m local and I have my family close by, I can go home for the holidays,” she said. “But a lot of people who are in Hillel with me, their families are farther away. There’s a lot of Jewish holidays that we don’t get time off for, so it’s nice for us to get together and celebrate.”

Although Hillel’s mission is to provide a community for Jewish students, they welcome students of all faiths to their events and programs.

“It’s not only for Jewish students. We invite students of all faith. We also try to team up with IMAN and other faith-based organizations as often as we can. We just try to get together and create a community on campus,” said Purcell.

Their upcoming event for Passover is no different. Purcell said that on April 5 from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. Hillel will hold a lunch event creating Matzah pizza for students and their friends to enjoy.

To RSVP for Hillel’s Passover lunch or to find out more information about the club, contact Carly Purcell at cp1291@mynsu.nova.edu.