National Poetry Month: Open Expressions

Poetry can be used in a variety of ways to express one’s thoughts, opinions and emotions. In honor of National Poetry Month, we asked members of NSU’s club, Open Expressions, “How did you first get involved in writing and/or reading poetry?” Here are some of their responses.

Alyssa Yarbough, sophomore communication major, said:

“Losing my little brother when I was 10. Dealing with such a horrible loss I fell into depression and my dad told me how he deals with his feelings is writing so that’s what I started to do. Since then, it’s been a thing for me”

Kamaria Johnson, junior exercise and sports science major, said:

“I think it started when I couldn’t find my voice when I used to be bullied from elementary all the way up until eighth and ninth grade. It was a hard childhood for me, and I was always quiet and paranoid. But I was able to find myself and my voice through writing out my feelings on paper and transforming them into the pieces I write today!”

Tyrianna Richards, sophomore English major, said:

“I started reading and writing poetry in middle school when I found a book of my mom’s poetry.”

Abriana Iverson, freshman elementary education major, said:

“My introduction into writing poetry was actually during my freshman year of high school. It was the first assignment of the year to write a poem following the specified format and from there I fell in love.”

Maria Valladares, sophomore legal studies major, said:

“Originally, I got into poetry because of my Nicaraguan roots. There’s a belief in Central America that Nicaragua is the land of the poets and I try to embody that belief. So, I was taught poetry when I was very young. I didn’t start writing poetry until elementary school! The more I wrote, the more I fell in love with it. It’s my way of truly expressing myself and it reminds me of home.”