Water Your Thoughts: Perhaps if you’d read the email …

NSU students are opinionated about all kinds of things, from universal social issues to NSU-specific concerns. Sometimes, however, we Sharks just need to rant about the smaller things in life to let off some steam.  In this column, The Current asks: water your thoughts?

Could it be that I just happen to be one of those out-of-the-box thinkers people often talk about, or could I simply be crazy to expect that the recipients of emails, text messages, letters, smoke signals, etc. will read the correspondence instead of inquiring about the cliff notes later? Sure, I can in fact, give you the information at a later date. After all, only silly people would think that it’s sufficient to take time out of their day to jot down specific information, go through the trouble of providing you with appropriate attachments, links and other pertinent information, and delivering it straight to your inbox. So yes, Tom, I’ll give you the elevator pitch and then subject myself to your 99 follow-up questions that I’ve already answered. And, I’ll do it all without blowing a gasket because “it’s not that big of a deal” and you’re right, my frustration is completely uncalled for.

Or — and humor me with this one — maybe you could just read that email or article which contains all of the information that you need, sandwiched between a precise header and apt call-to-action. Perhaps then, you would be more informed about what’s happening on your campus. By George, it might be possible for us to conclude a meeting on time — a usual gripe of yours — if you’d only prepared yourself beforehand, allowing us to skip the part where we have to fill you in.

Trust me, I understand that we’re all busy people and sometimes, you may need the summarized version because you just received the information way too late to prepare and you’ve had an awful day. There, there; it would be my pleasure to catch you up on such occasions. But, on those other days — you know, the ones where you had ample time to get your stuff together — do us all a favor and do what’s expected: read the — who am I kidding, if this applies to you, you’ve probably stopped reading … So, if you’re like me, I feel for you. Try your best to hang in there.