Water your thoughts: Glass walls can’t keep me away from caffeine

NSU made a whole lot of changes over the summer to the food court in the Don Taft University Center as well as to what we used to know as the UC Pit and, in all honesty, I am not the biggest fan of it whatsoever.

Something they did that especially ticked me off is enclosing the UC Pit with a glass wall. The other night I was leaving my 6 to 10 p.m. class, exhausted after an incredibly long day and craving a coffee from Starbucks. As I walked into the vicinity of the pit, I remembered that after 4:30 p.m. they turn the dining hall into an all-you-can-eat flat rate buffet and you can’t get into the hall unless you pay your flat rate.

Now instead of being able to enter Starbucks through the UC pit or through the dining hall like we used to be able to, you have to walk all the way out of the UC and around in order to walk into the outdoor entrance to Starbucks. Which doesn’t seem like that much of a big deal, but what if you’re stranded in the UC during one of the usual South Florida downpours in the midst of a busy class day? What if you just want to sit at one of the tables and study because there isn’t that much space in the UC? People can also still enter the food court through that same outdoor Starbucks entrance so what’s the point in closing it all off?

That glass won’t be breaking, but if I’m stuck without my Starbucks hot chocolate during a torrential downpour, my heart surely will be.