Athlete of the Week: Leslie Atherton

Leslie Atherton is a graduate student pursuing a masters degree in public health. She is a transfer student from Tulsa, Oklahoma where she played volleyball at The University of Oklahoma the last four years.

How did you start playing volleyball?

“I have been doing this basically my whole life. My older sister was a volleyball player so before I picked any sport I was always at her practices, in the gym and tournaments, so I sort of just fell into [volleyball] because I wanted to do what she did. So I’ve been doing it on a team competitively since I was 10 years old.”

What interested you about volleyball?

“I liked the team aspect of it. In high school I did high jump which is an individual sport. There are pros and cons to both but I definitely like the team aspect of volleyball and the friends at the community that comes with it.”

How would you describe the relationship with your teammates?

“I love this team. They are super nice girls who are so welcoming. Since I’m the new girl on the team they have definitely brought me in and made me feel like I’ve been here for forever. My roommate, Sydney Lemon, has done the best job of getting me integrated into the team.”

What is difficult about being a student athlete?

“I think it’s the balance. FInding the balance between volleyball, school and social time. Sometimes you feel like you are drowning in one of those and letting down another. It’s really hard to try and balance that and be a happy normal student, make good grades and be fully committed on the team.”

What is an important thing a volleyball team needs?

“I think they need chemistry more than anything. Volleyball skills can be taught , practiced and refined. The attitude on the court is something thats just inherent and comes from the girls and that’s very important. I think effort is also something hard to be taught. I want [to work with] the six hardest working, most positive out on the court and the [success] will come from that.”

How has your experience at NSU been so far compared University of Oklahoma?

“Well there are palm trees outside so that’s been really cool.  I’m constantly walking outside and just thinking ‘how can I not be happy that I’m here’. It’s been great so far, I have a lighter schedule in the masters program but it’s been awesome. I like my professors and my classes so I really like it [at NSU].”

What are some of your plans for the future?

“Right now I’m in the masters of public health so hopefully finish that. The ultimate goal is to go to occupational therapy school and become an occupational therapist. But my ultimate goal is to be a mom someday.”

What is your favorite thing to do after a big game?

“If my parents are here I like to go out to dinner with them. The girls will sometimes go out and eat dinner, hang out together and keep bonding. Usually sleep, I’m pretty tired after a long game.”

Do you have any pre-game rituals?

“It’s usually just dancing in the locker room and playing some ‘pump-up’ music. I’m not crazy superstitious but I like having my favorite knee pads and favorite socks, that type of stuff.”

What does your downtime look like?

“Well here in Florida we go to the beach as much as we can. Just hanging out with the [team]. We are really good friends so we like to hang out with each other, go to the beach, get brunch and just spend time with each other.”

How has it been being away from home?

“My family is my biggest support system. Definitely could not have done any of this without them. I’m from Tulsa so I went to my state school and my parents came to every home game and it was great for four years. My mom is having a little bit of a hard time when she leaves [NSU]. But it’s great they’ve been down here and they’ve seen a home game so they love it. They are excited to see me pushing forward and moving on with my career.”

What is advice you would give to other student athletes?

“Make sure you fit with your team. First and foremost, have fun and love what you do. Really soak in the time you have [being a student athlete]. The time goes by really fast and take advantage of the this experience and enjoy it while you have it. Your fortunate to have [this opportunity] so always try to find the love in the game.”