Gill Out: I Heart Mac & Cheese

Macaroni and cheese has been considered America’s comfort food since the 20th century. Most of us grew up eating Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, but now, with the rise of fast-casual concept restaurants, there are more gourmet options.

I Heart Mac & Cheese is a gourmet macaroni and cheese restaurant that specializes in a variety of mac & cheese dishes, grilled cheeses and salads. They have locations in South Florida, New York and Oklahoma, and their prices range from an average of $11 to $30. Walking into their Davie location near NSU, you will find funky macaroni and cheese inspired wallpaper with cows, chickens, cheese, milk and macaroni, along with a rustic and casual ambiance. The lights around the restaurant are also actually glass milk jugs— which add a nice touch.

I Heart Mac & Cheese also believes in helping others and are hosting fundraisers for organizations by donating a portion of the proceeds to those that support people with special needs, such as Special Olympics and Autism Speaks.

When browsing through I Heart Mac & Cheese’s page on Yelp, guests can receive 10 percent off their purchase when they check-in, which provides a more affordable price for gourmet mac and cheese. If dining in is not your preference, I Heart Mac & Cheese also delivers through UberEats and Delivery Dudes. All dishes are made to order, and their menu is said to combine “the creativity of award-winning recipes resulting in a grown-up approach to this classic childhood dish.” I decided to ordered a classic macaroni and cheese and also tried the chicken parmesan mac and cheese. I was not surprised to discover that both dishes were delicious. The macaroni was flawlessly cooked and there was a perfect amount of cheese. The chicken in the chicken parmesan macaroni and cheese was also very well cooked and seasoned.

I Heart Mac & Cheese provides guests with the opportunity to build their own mac or grilled cheese or choose from favorites and specialties. Some favorites and chef specials include chicken or meatball parmesan, buffalo chicken, Philly cheese steak and The Cuban. I Heart Mac & Cheese also offers local craft beers and wine on tap from Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, along with water, soda and tea. They also sell handcrafted desserts such as brownie bites and cookies. It is the perfect place for macaroni and cheese lovers, or those simply looking for some comfort food.