Shark Speak: What do you think about the new Gillette ad?

I think it was really nice from Gillette to do the ad because it fights toxic masculinity and the whole image that men have to be tough and strong. That’s not true we see a lot of guys with depression and treating women badly because of the whole image of being superior; that’s just bull crap. That was an image created and supported by the media, so it’s nice to see a big company engaging with this topic and fighting against toxic masculinity. There is nothing offensive about it. I saw negative feedback from conservative people and that’s what we expect. They supported that image so they don’t want it to be fun. I really liked the ad, great job Gillette!  

• Gabriel Lindemayer, Freshman, Political Science major

I thought it was a really good ad. It brought light to those who shy away from toxic masculinity. I feel that people who were threatened by it are part of the problem. I don’t think it will bring too much change because people will still be offended by it. I think eventually, if companies continue to release stuff like that then it might bring some change.

• Chiamaka Nkwocha, Freshman, Behavioral Neuroscience major

I feel like it wasn’t needed for a Gillette ad. They could have gone about it a different way, that men are great people. It’s wrong, not every guy is like that and not every guy has a bad and good side. That’s what the ad did. It was just wrong how they did it.

• Kairee Whitmore, Freshman, Exceptional Student Education major

I personally believe that they did not have to take this approach to creating a commercial like that. They could have just advertised a razor or something. The message polarized men as either being good or bad; that’s what i took from it. It’s categorizing people, which they shouldn’t do.

• Maya Nunez, Freshman, Biology major